iCloud is full, but info still tied to old phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Nov 5, 2012.

1. trlyka, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

trlyka
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

trlyka

I didn't realize that iCloud still has my old devices stored. Now it says I only have 17.8 MB available. I am not going to pay for more iCloud storage at this time.

Is it ok to just delete the old backup from my old iPhones? I see what I think is my old iPhone 4 and the replacement I got in May. Then my iPad and then my iPhone 5. There appears to be nothing in iCloud for my iPhone 5 :roll eyes:

I had a pic here, but I have to figure out how to edit it to remove my name. I have a Macbook if anyone knows what program I can use to edit the pic.......

----------

Sorry....I don't know why this ^ pic is so huge :eek:

2. Daveoc64
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

It's perfectly ok to delete the backups.

Remember that:

-Anything contained in them WILL be lost, unless you have another copy of that data
    -A backup can only be restored onto the same or higher version of iOS (i.e. a backup of iOS 6 will only work on an iOS 6 or later device)
    -The same is true of devices. Backups can only be restored to the same or later model in each product family

If you're confident that your iPhone 5 has everything on it that you want, then deleting the backups should be fine.

You'll presumably want to keep the iPad backup though.

3. trlyka
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

trlyka

Thanks for the info...

When I go onto iCloud on my phone, it says 'This iPhone 0 KB'. Then there are 3 more devices. I think it's my old 4 (2.2 MB), the previous 5 (2.4 MB) before it was replaced, and my iPad (406.4 KB).

I guess at this point, it doesn't matter if my 5 has everything or not. I mean I never updated my 4 to iOS 6 and I sold it. Yes, I will keep my iPad backup. I don't use it much, but there isn't much on the backup for that.

I assume once I make room by removing the backups from my other 2 phones, the iCloud backup will work on my current 5?

4. Daveoc64
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

It should do.

I would turn iCloud backup off for your iPhone 5, delete ALL backups (except the iPad backup) and then turn it back on.