Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markvnl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi,

I noticed that iCloud Keychain does not offer to save the password from some sites when I use Safari on my Mac.
I made sure that "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not to be saved" is on.
Safari on my iPhone and iPad mini offer to save the passwords for the same sites, so that works as expected.
One of the sites on which I noticed this problem is this very site, MacRumors Forums.
I even went to create a new password, which Safari said it would save in iCloud Keychain, but it didn't.

Anyone seen this too?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yep... I see it on many sites including this one. It is the fault of the site design and their password implementation.

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
I too had issues with keychain and macrumors. Finally found a workaround it, not sure about other sites, but worth a try.
1. Enter User Name and Password in Macrumors Forum Login
2. Do Not Hit Log In
3. Instead Refresh Page in Safari
4. Dialog Box asks if you want to reload page, click Reload
5. Keychain dialog box should now come up

Hope this helps everyone with issues with macrumors & saving to iCloud keychain.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Yep... I see it on many sites including this one. It is the fault of the site design and their password implementation.

With "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not to be saved" ticked all credentials shall be saved no matter how the site was designed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
With "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not to be saved" ticked all credentials shall be saved no matter how the site was designed.

No they won't. I have that box checked and there are quite a few sites that it does not work, including this one. Look at the post above yours for a trick that makes it save for this site.

----------

I too had issues with keychain and macrumors. Finally found a workaround it, not sure about other sites, but worth a try.
2. Do Not Hit Log In

Hope this helps everyone with issues with macrumors & saving to iCloud keychain.

Thanks Leo... this worked perfectly. :)

youtubin

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Finally someone else with the same problem as me. I have been searching and also asked for a solution for this problem regarding this forum not saving the login details. I didn't get any help! So I started to think it was only me with this problem. (which seemed a lil odd, but possible I guess)

Anyway, now the problem is fixed! Again thank you!! :apple::D:apple:

alice04

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2013
Yeah! me too. iCloud always asks for my password it's so irritating!

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
2. Do Not Hit Log In

Worked perfectly, thanks!

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
2. Do Not Hit Log In

Amazing! Thanks for the information, it was extremely helpful. While iCloud keychain still seems a bit in beta, I think there is major potential here.

It also is going to help me to stop using three variants (don't get any ideas) of password combos. This really scared me after the recent hack on these very forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just had this happen to me. I let it choose a very secure password after the security leak. It said it would save it.

Nope. I had to go back and reset my password again. I'll stick with my usual 'password' password for now.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I had the same thing happen to me today, not just with Macrumors but another forum as well.

Another option is to log in from an iPad. When I logged in from an iPad it saved the password automatically without incident. It was only in OSX Mavericks that it wasn't working for me.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i'm a little confused; is this workaround to get safari to offer to CREATE a password, or to get safari to RETRIEVE a previously created password from its keychain?

either way, one can speak of how it is impossible to handle all cases, and sure the savvy among us can read through these forums and figure out workarounds, but if the system is so finicky that even macrumors apparently doesn't "play right", then i think there is an argument to be made that apple's new keychain is not a "solution" at all.

a feature like this, especially for novice computer users, requests a high level of trust from its users ("let us make up a password to your account that even you don't know, but TRUST us that we'll remember it for you"), but then makes the apparent unspoken caveat "the web is waaay to inconsistent to be sure this will work every time though, so good luck resetting your account or figuring out what went wrong the times it fails".

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Just had this happen to me. I let it choose a very secure password after the security leak. It said it would save it.

Nope. I had to go back and reset my password again. I'll stick with my usual 'password' password for now.

Same problem here. I can use the work around to get iCloud Keychain to suggest a secure password, but then it doesn't actually save it. So right now I have a screenshot of the secure password sitting on my desktop, just so I don't have to go through my third password reset for this forum in 24 hours.

I love iCloud Keychain when it works, but man, when it doesn't, frustrating for sure.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
2. Do Not Hit Log In

wohoooo thank you!

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I love iCloud Keychain when it works, but man, when it doesn't, frustrating for sure.

Agreed, I'm still getting used to how it works. What's interesting is that I can go to a website on my iMac (running Mavericks) and iCloud Keychain won't save the password. However, I can go to the same site on my iPad (running iOS7), and iCloud Keychain *will* save the password. Good and fine, that password gets into the keychain, but why the behavior difference between the two OS's?? :confused:

unbe

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
2. Do Not Hit Log In

While this works, it’s a very archaic workaround. Would still like to know why this is happening.

Anyway, thanks a bunch, at least it’s working now :)

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
While this works, it’s a very archaic workaround. Would still like to know why this is happening.

It may have something to do with the fact that this site's login form, as currently designed, runs some client Javascript in your browser before it gets submitted to the website when you hit the login button. The Javascript in question mangles the password that you typed and converts it into an MD5 hash.

However, if you click the reload button in Safari (as a workaround), this does not submit the form. In technical terms, it does a GET of the page rather than a POST. This will not result in any initial password mangling; Safari will recognise the form as worthy of remembering, and gives you the opportunity to save the username/password in keychain.

Mangling passwords in the client's browser is not ideal, and there are more straightforward ways of achieving a secure login.

For example, many sites provide a secure (SSL) login page. Thus the password cannot be sniffed on transit. Then, on the site's server (NOT the client browser) a hash is computed and compared when the login form is submitted.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Any reason you haven't fixed this yet Arn? Especially in light of this site's recent security issue.

Nice trick with the reload button btw.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Same problem here. If you are using Safari to generate passwords for these websites, make sure you record it down first somewhere. :p

RedFred

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
Safari no longer offering to save passwords for all sites

I'm running Safari 7.0.2 and under the passwords Preference Panel there is no longer a check box that says "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not be saved." Is any one else seeing this? If so this is a big feature regression. I also notice that Safari in iOS 7.1 doesn't offer to save all websites either.

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
If you have the Developer menu enabled, Disable Javascript before clicking login button and Safari will ask to remember the password.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm running Safari 7.0.2 and under the passwords Preference Panel there is no longer a check box that says "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not be saved." Is any one else seeing this? If so this is a big feature regression. I also notice that Safari in iOS 7.1 doesn't offer to save all websites either.

Gone on 7.0.2 here also.

gJiGWU1.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.