iCloud Mail Outage Enters Second Day for Some Users

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just about 24 hours ago, we began receiving the first reports of users having difficulties accessing their iCloud mail. Apple acknowledged the outage on its iCloud system status page relatively soon afterward, but noted that the issue only affected about 1% of customers.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for that small fraction of users, the issue has become a relatively major one, as their outage is now extending into a second day with Apple's regular system status updates providing no sign of improvement in holding steady at 1.1% of users being affected.

Apple has given no timeframe for a resolution of the issue beyond stating that "normal service will be restored ASAP", and an Apple spokesperson declined further comment upon being contacted by Macworld.

Article Link: iCloud Mail Outage Enters Second Day for Some Users

2. macrumors 6502

Hmm. I did notice that my mail was slow yesterday, but thankfully it wasn't completely disrupted.

3. macrumors newbie

Yeah. I cant send or recive Mails since yesterday :-(

4. macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Yep, second day for me.

5. macrumors 65816

striker33

Mail was slow for me yesterday as well. Emails which were apparently received at 3pm came through on my iPad at 7pm :mad:

6. macrumors regular

Same here... at least messages with attachment wont be sent.. Receiving is no problem.

7. macrumors member

175,000 users with no email "relatively small group"? Common, macupdate, you have the same amount of readers.

8. macrumors newbie

second day for me too :(

9. macrumors newbie

Second day for me also, I have 5 family members with me.com email accounts and it is also affecting all of them, kinda wonder about there 1.1%!

10. macrumors newbie

I'm glad i switched to Google Apps for my primary mail. iCloud mail has been down for at
    PHP:
    least the past 24 hours for me.

11. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

More like over 1 million. There are over 100 million iCloud users.

12. macrumors newbie

Makes me feel real warm and fuzzy about entrusting all my music, email, contacts, documents, pictures etc. to there cloud service.

13. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

**** happens but I'm surprised it's gone on this long.

14. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've never had faith in Apple's email services. For me, it's typically been slow and suffer's more outages than Gmail. I've been with Gmail since it was an invitation only beta service and I can remember only once experiencing significant downtime with them.

I have both services, but Gmail is my primary and my .mac/mobileme/icloud or whatever it's called these days, is like my junk email account.

15. macrumors newbie

Just because this service is now free it is ok to keep us in the dark?

This outage is costing people money!

Epic Apple Fail

Sorry, but it is.

Poor, poor service.

16. macrumors newbie

Offline since 17:30 central european time yesterday. @me.com is my primary email, but since the outage I've been forced to revert to gmail... Starting to get slightly frustrated as I've never had an email service go out on me before (except enterprise email service at the office... lol)

17. macrumors 68040

Apple really need to get real here and give up on trying to run their own online platforms. They suck at it and always have. Sorry, but just like you dont buy hosting from a domain registrar, you dont use online services from a hardware/software combo vendor.

Glad I'm on Google Apps for my mail - only ever had one outage, and even that only lastet around 30 minutes.

18. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Don't get all over dramatic here. It's just one feature of their iCloud service that's currently down. And it's not down for everyone. I'm patient and rational enough to understand that his kind of stuff happens and will wait for it to be resolved.

----------

Same goes for you too.

19. a1exey1azar, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

macrumors member

Correction: 1,750,000 users

20. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Keep us in the dark? They've been giving updates every 2 hours since the outage.

Do you want to know which bit sector of which server farm is currently down? How will that help?

21. macrumors newbie

You're Better Than This Apple

This is outrageous. I've been without access to my email for more than 20 hours now. Apple support can't give me any answers and all we get is the same recycled update on the system status page. My business—my livelihood—is tied to my access.

I am the biggest Apple fan you'll meet and have been since buying my first Mac SE in 1987. But the way Apple is responding to this has even me wondering if I need to move my email to a more stable server.

I would hate to believe that their focus on today's iPhone 5 launch is getting in the way of fixing this problem.

22. macrumors regular

2nd day

second day down for me too.

"it just don't work"

23. macrumors 68040

It would be over dramatic if it was the first, or maybe the second time this had happened. Or if it was indeed 'only' 1.1% of users. Even that in itself is a pretty big number. We're talking around 1.1 MILLION users without access to their email here. That's not really a valid case for '**** happens'.

Apple's had far too many problems with their iCloud/Me service. From painfully slow file transfers on the old iDisk platform (outside of the US you were lucky if you got 80kbps in/out) to several pretty well publicised outages over the last couple of years.

So no. I'm not dramatising anything - just stating fact: Apple has always sucked at keeping a reliable cloud platform working.

Interesting sidenote: It's not a cloud platform in the traditional sense at all - in fact its not even got a failover service. Apple use one location in California for the whole of iCloud. In comparison Gmail alone spans around 12+ datacenters across the globe.

24. macrumors regular

"It just works"

Hahahaha

25. macrumors regular

You don't really think that everyone at Apple is working on the event do you? I am quite sure that there is a team dedicated to working on this issue, and hopefully it will be resolved soon.