Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ok...so basically I want to keep my Macbook Air, iMac, and iPhone 4S in sync.

I want my Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Pictures in sync.

Will the iPhone 4S sync with Gmail and Google Calendars?

I want to keep my Mail and Calendars in sync through Google...

And I want to keep my Contacts and Pictures in sync through iCloud.

Is this possible/Does this make since?

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Yup, you can use Google Apps/Gmail and iCloud to sync different things if you would like. Since I have an Android phone, I am now using Google for calendar sync and email, but I'm using iCloud for Documents sync to my iPad, etc.

And yes, iOS supports Google Calendar and Gmail.

French

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 and use Google to keep everything in sync.

I have just set up the 4 to backup to the cloud...but you raise a good question. In a way Google is my backup for mail, contacts and calendar.

MCKENNATECH

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I use google for all my calendar and contact info, and it works great. Set it up as an Enterprise. Use server m.google.com and type in your proper info. It'll sync perfectly, and push the data to your phone. To tell it what calendars will sync to your phone, visit m.google.com/sync on your iPhone browser. Hope this helps!

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I have a GMAIL email so I decided I don't want to use iCloud's Mail since I don't want to make an @me email. My Google calendar syncs up with my Air and iMac...but it doesn't sync up with iCloud so I'm keeping my Calendar as Google also.

And I enabled iPhoto for the Cloud...how exactly does that work?
There's no Photo icon in the Cloud...but I'm assuming when I take a picture it'll be shared across all three devices iPhoto?

Last question...I have locate my Mac on both my Air and iMac...and I'll enable it on my iPhone when I get it Friday...but no one can get my locations to my other devices other than me? Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.