Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iCloud.com Photos app was quietly updated over the weekend, adding a new zoom option to the toolbar that lets users zoom in on photos that have been uploaded to iCloud Photo Library.

newzoomtool.jpg

As noted by German site iFun.de, Apple's web-based Photos app has also gained a new feature that allows users to send photos via email directly from the website, making sharing photos easier than ever before.

icloudemail-800x453.jpg

The addition of new zoom and email features follows a major November update to the iCloud.com Photos app, which began allowing users to upload photos to iCloud for the first time. Before the addition of the uploading tool, the standard iCloud.com site only allowed users to view, download, and delete iCloud Photo Library images.

With the uploading tool and new sharing features, iCloud is slowly becoming a viable and useful storage option for users who wish to upload and manage entire photo libraries. Still in beta, iCloud Photo Library was initially introduced alongside iOS 8.1, letting users sync and access all of their photos on all of their iOS devices and Macs via the web.

Apple is working on a Photos app for the Mac, which will work alongside both the Photos app on iOS and the iCloud.com Photos app on the web. Photos, which will replace both Apple's iPhoto app and Aperture, is supposed to be launching in the early months of 2015. There's been little word on its development since its initial June introduction, however.

Article Link: iCloud.com Photos App Gains New Zoom, Email Features

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They need to make an app for icloud drive. I still have to upload documents to google drive.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Still can't use it till I can upload some damn .mp4's. What about that Apple? Seems it took more time to add code that blocks .mp4's instead of testing with it enabled.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Needs more storage

Apple needs to add more free storage. I have two devices and a MBP. 5 GB isn't nearly enough to back up an iPhone and iPad, store photos, emails, and documents.

I know it sounds stupid to shout, "MORE FREE STUFF," but cloud storage is too ubiquitous now to start charging for what competitors offer for free.

Can't we have 5 GB per device or something? We are paying a premium for the hardware.

Geniva

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
iCloud Photos has been working great on my iOS devices, keeping my storage usage down without having to delete any photos. I'm just waiting for that Mac app to come out so I can transition my entire iPhoto library over.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
And Macs via the web?

Ditto for any other desktop.

----------

iCloud Photos has been working great on my iOS devices, keeping my storage usage down without having to delete any photos. I'm just waiting for that Mac app to come out so I can transition my entire iPhoto library over.

Just use shared albums. Free, no expiry, large limit, videos included.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Apple needs to add more free storage. I have two devices and a MBP. 5 GB isn't nearly enough to back up an iPhone and iPad, store photos, emails, and documents.

I know it sounds stupid to shout, "MORE FREE STUFF," but cloud storage is too ubiquitous now to start charging for what competitors offer for free.

Can't we have 5 GB per device or something? We are paying a premium for the hardware.

I agree, they should give us more storage if we have more devices :D
But the 20GB plan is only 1$ per month, which isnt bad. When they finally do the mac app, Ill probably have to up my plan to 200GB to keep all my pictures in the cloud.

What the icloud photos app does need though are the full features of iPhoto, adding faces, places, dates etc. Does anyone know if it have any of these yet?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Add Photos for OS X to the list of things that will hopefully be debuted at the Music / MacBook Air event. Exciting!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

icloud photos take up space on your IOS devices.....

Do you just mean by using the device optimized versions?

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I agree, they should give us more storage if we have more devices :D
But the 20GB plan is only 1$ per month, which isnt bad. When they finally do the mac app, Ill probably have to up my plan to 200GB to keep all my pictures in the cloud.

What the icloud photos app does need though are the full features of iPhoto, adding faces, places, dates etc. Does anyone know if it have any of these yet?

You can't share it with Family Members, which is idiotic. I had purchased the 200 megs plan to test, but then my girlfriend keeps getting a message that her 64Gb iPhone 6 can't be backed up, because there is not enough storage.

I cancelled iCloud, but now it keeps popping up spam asking me to upgrade....

Dropbox and Google Drive, as well as MS's OneDrive are all far better and cheaper options for storage, or just for photos, Smugmug is a better option.

iCloud is expensive and useless, unless you don't know any better.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011

Amen to that! Or even better - give the free amount of storage that matches the sum memory of all your devices, so you can always be assured of a full device backups.

5GB backup space is ridiculous if you are on a 64GB device. Even on 16GB, you have to start disabling certain things from your backup eventually.

This is 2015! Is cloud storage really that expensive for you, Apple?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
You can't share it with Family Members, which is idiotic. I had purchased the 200 megs plan to test, but then my girlfriend keeps getting a message that her 64Gb iPhone 6 can't be backed up, because there is not enough storage.

Dropbox and Google Drive, as well as MS's OneDrive are al far better and cheaper options for storage, or just for photos, Smugmug is a better option.

You can't share extra data with plans from Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive either.

On the pricing side, iCloud and OneDrive are pretty much dead on. You get more raw storage with Dropbox and Google Drive for your money, but you lose some of the integration, device backup, etc. What's going to be important for one user might not be the same for the next, so while it might seem like a rip to you it could be a good way to go for someone else.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe

The price to take allotted iCloud storage from the free tier to the 20 GB tier is splendidly reasonable… 79p per month!

(I actually like that I'm paying for Apple's iCloud service – it makes me feel that I'm reasonably paying for something that has a value to me, which is not a feeling I get from using Google's services - they just feel like a take-it-or-leave it offering.)

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010

Dropbox and Google Drive, as well as MS's OneDrive are all far better and cheaper options for storage, or just for photos, Smugmug is a better option.

Yes, but Apple has a new campus in Cupertino that looks like a spaceship. :)

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
You can't share extra data with plans from Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive either.

On the pricing side, iCloud and OneDrive are pretty much dead on. You get more raw storage with Dropbox and Google Drive for your money, but you lose some of the integration, device backup, etc. What's going to be important for one user might not be the same for the next, so while it might seem like a rip to you it could be a good way to go for someone else.

OneDrive gives you 1TB per user, for up to 5 users, plus full access to MS's apps (Word, Excel, PPT, etc.) for $99 per year

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
What I'm really waiting for is the Mac app. :(

Pricing for the storage also is not that great. I wish the prices where more in line with the cloud services of the competitors.
Something along the lines of this:

20GB
Free

200GB
0.99/month

500GB
3.99/month

1TB
9.99/month

2TB
19.99/month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.