Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Are there any rumours on new features in iCloud Photos for the next big software update (iOS and OS X) this year?

I'm considering moving my iCloud Photo library to Google Photos where one of the big advantages is that both my girlfriend and I are able to use the same Photo library without having to share photos in public albums. That's not possible using iCloud but if there is any rumours that this would be possible in new version, I would like to know before moving all my photos ;-)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
According to prognosticators here and elsewhere before Photos was released, it was gonna be the next Aperture.

The lesson is even if there are rumors, don't trust 'em. Especially in regard to Apple's cloud services, which have a quite spotty history. Unfortunately, Google's bouncing around with Google Photos, Google+, and picasaweb doesn't inspire much confidence either. But it's cheaper...and it's very fun to play with the image search they have.

And of course who knows what's gonna happen with Flickr given Yahoo's troubles. Good luck.

Seviant

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2016
Los Angeles
Little did you know how EXACT your prediction was.

According to prognosticators here and elsewhere before Photos was released, it was gonna be the next Aperture.

The lesson is even if there are rumors, don't trust 'em. Especially in regard to Apple's cloud services, which have a quite spotty history. Unfortunately, Google's bouncing around with Google Photos, Google+, and picasaweb doesn't inspire much confidence either. But it's cheaper...and it's very fun to play with the image search they have.

And of course who knows what's gonna happen with Flickr given Yahoo's troubles. Good luck.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

I think it's interesting you mentioned Flickr cause I was just thinking about this the other day. Yahoo seems like it's in trouble and looking at a buyout. Who knows if they buyers will close Flickr or if it will stay open, it doesn't seem to be competing very well with Instagram because the upload process isn't as convenient and quick, also it just doesn't have the celeb users or user figures in general. I recently switched all of my photography sharing to Instagram (having been a diehard Flickr user for years) and I've seen more likes per photo in the past month than in 6 months on Flickr. Dunno if that's the shear amount of users Instagram has or how much more active Instagram's users are. I can use minimal, but general tags and get a nice amount of likes.

Flickr might be doomed. But we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.