iCloud to Auto-Resolve Sync Conflicts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 17, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MobileMe's sync conflict resolver. Via BusySync
    When it runs into conflicting data, Apple's upcoming iCloud service will automatically determine which is the correct one without bringing the user into it, according to Daring Fireball's John Gruber. Speaking on The Talk Show with Dan Benjamin, Gruber lays out what he believes to be iCloud's course of action in dealing with sync conflicts: (via MacStories)
    Currently, MobileMe pops up a dialog box (shown above) forcing users to resolve conflicts, before a sync can continue.

Apple hasn't officially revealed many details about exactly how its new services are going to work, iTunes Match nor the other various bits of iCloud. Gruber claims this isn't just a theory, that he knows is sure this is how iCloud will work. We'll know more when iCloud launches this fall.

Article Link: iCloud to Auto-Resolve Sync Conflicts

2. macrumors 65816

res1233

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not such a bad idea. I'd decide it based on date modified if that's possible. Odds are the most recent change is the right one.

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502

Bonch

5. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Although they seem to be dabbling in guesswork I have to imagine that they're right. I can't imagine that Apple would come up with file-versioning in Lion and somehow ignore such features on the cloud side.

6. macrumors G3

Not quite true, if you read the iOS developer guidelines for using iCloud storage. (It may well be that all the built-in apps work this way, though).

7. macrumors regular

He also pointed out that iBooks page syncing is an example of iCloud syncing in action. If you have two devices and take them both offline and then flip to a different page on each device....which page is going to be the 'truth' once both devices go back online?

8. macrumors G3

Whichever one was changed last in time? Whichever one is the highest page number? Either choice would make sense.

9. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How will I know that one of my syncs didn't result in "the truth" so I need to check my versioning?

10. macrumors 68020

11. macrumors 6502a

I wonder how it will decide. I have too many services using the same calendar so I hope iOS 5 will not mess it up.

12. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When you turn up for an appointment a day too late?

13. macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I think this is fantastic. I hate seeing those MobileMe conflict windows. It makes me doubt myself every time.

Now if only we could somehow get versions or Time Machine for iPad to restore former documents.

14. macrumors 6502

Yup! Works like the iPhone alarm feature during a daylight savings time change. ;)

15. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Thank the Lord. That window was the hardest part of my life.

16. macrumors G3

charlituna

That is most likely exactly what is going to happen and Gruber is partially blowing smoke

17. macrumors newbie

I`m not digging this.

iCloud canot possibly know how to mesh any conflicts in my syncing better than I do.

In fact the more I read about Lion and iCloud the more I want to hang onto Snow Leopard.

18. macrumors G5

nagromme

Cool—just like iOS spell-checking: most of the time you DO want the auto-correction, so that’s a sensible default. But you can then revert easily if it turns out to be wrong.

19. macrumors 68040

It sounds like you still get the option to choose. Except now it will finish the rest of the synch and then ask you which to keep so you don't have to answer right away before the synch will finish so you can feel a little freer to really look and decide.

20. macrumors 6502

Exactly. I hope to g-d they allow you to set it up to ask you every time rather than guessing, however intelligent they think their algorithm is...

21. macrumors member

Exactly this point.

The old problem was simply that the entire sync was put on hold until decisions were made.

As long as you have a way to check what conflicts were encountered (a simple list of flagged items) and choose which version to use, this looks like a perfect solution to me.

22. macrumors member

ARobinson

The way they laid out the post is very confusing. If this is how iCloud will work, the path of correction will be very simple. The cloud won't tell the user he is wrong.

Gruber said this: "It will act like a “black box”. Most cases it will go by the most recently implemented change — it will be undefined. The key is that if there is a conflict, they will remember the different conflicting versions. If it picks the “wrong truth” it will be able to go back and get the right one. That’s what I mean when I say no more merging or conflicts. iCloud will make its best guess at merging & conflicts other than having you pick it."

The cloud will make the best educated guess that you will ultimately have control over. Only if, of course, Gruber's theories prove factual.

23. macrumors 68030

wonderspark

If my secretary adds an appointment to my calendar (remotely via the office) after I've already booked something myself, it's likely her newer entry will not be "the truth" at all, and my prior appointment will be written over. I could then miss my proper appointment because I didn't "verify" it prior, and that would suck.

It would need to be an option, or I'd have to fire people with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my appointments. And they will KNOW my name is The...

...sorry, got carried away there.

24. macrumors 603

richard.mac

if iCloud automatically picks the conflict that has more details and a more recent modified date then i have no problem with this. also good that it will have a manual conflict selector.

25. macrumors 6502

Hopefully this will also fix the 'new activity' issue where a new appointment named 'new activity' gets pushed to MobileMe without ever being renamed. I have ended up with numerous 'new activity' in my calendars with only one Mac holding the correct appointment (i.e. tennis with Leon).

Most, most annoying.