Icloud: Unwanted contacts from my wife's phone

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Joybulb, Oct 17, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Joybulb

Well I entered contacts onto my phone from both my wife's old phone and mine. It's nice to have the contacts push to both phones, but she has some contacts that I don't want, and I have some that she doesn't want. When she deletes one from her phone however, it also deletes from mine. Is there a way to nitpick the contacts, or are we both stuck with each others friends in our phones?

2. macrumors 68020

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use your own personal accounts.

3. macrumors newbie

You can share an iTunes account (to share purchased items) but you'll want to setup individual iCloud accounts for each of you. Essentially each of you will have a unique @me email for iCloud and a shared iTunes store email for purchases. iDevices now allow 2 unique id's. One you'll enter under (Settings - Store), the other under (Settings - iCloud).

Does that make sense?

4. macrumors 6502a

I have set up different contact groups:
    - one group for common + 'only her' contacts
    - one group for common + 'only mine' contacts

On my iPhone I just choose my group and see only my contacts.

You have to maintain the groups of course, but it is a simple solution.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

How do you do this "contact group" thing?

6. macrumors 6502a

I created two groups on my iMac in the Contacts app. Then I dragged the contacts to the groups. I don't know if it is possible to create groups directly on the iPhone (I can't find it :) )

7. macrumors 68020

Separate out iCloud accounts or you are going to have a lot more problems then just contacts.