iCommune? Help me!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacAztec, Jan 23, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, so I heard about iCommune. I downloaded the beta2 version from a mirror server, and installed it on 3 computers in my house, and my brother (whom is about 5 miles from me) also installed it on his computer.

So, I open it up, click the "Network" playlist, and start fiddling with the settings. I shared my music, and I did it to all the computers in my house. File Sharing is enabled in the system prefs.

iCommune then gave me a local link to enter in other iCommune computers to access the computer in which the link was for. (In other words, the link for my computer was http://xxx/xxx and then i entered that as a server in the other computers). I couldnt find any files. I tried fiddling with the names. Nothing. I tried EVERYTHING, and still nothing.

So my brother put up an apache web server with his music folder (so I could add it to iCommune and access his playlist). He has about 3 weeks worth the music...straight. So, I reboot iTunes, and it says its accessing "Roberts" database. Then, iTunes quits. I try again and again, and it keeps quitting.

I go into the ~library/iTunes and mess around with the iCommune Cache, and the iCommune plugin. I deleted the Cache, and tried to open, and it would still try to access his database. I replaced the plugin and it still tried.

Then i changed the plugin name to "Commune" instead of "iCommune" and it opened without quitting. I also erased the Cache. It wasnt trying to connect to anything.

I tried adding the network addresses of the servers around my house, and still NOTHING.

Anyone use iCommune and figure out how to do this? Please, dont PM me asking for iCommune.

Go to Google.com and search for "iCommune mirror download" and one of the top 4 pages has 3 links. Mirror 2 is the newest version.

I have also tried using iCommune beta1, and nothing works.

ANYONE HAVE ADVICE?

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I was trying the same thing to with a friend, but I got nothing, I read all the instructions and it never worked.....so any feedback would be nice?

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Someone....

Anyone else use this program out there...

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

make sure that your personal web sharing is on in the sharing pane of your system prefs...

also go to iCommune

you can email the creator directly..but look around the pages for help first

i haven't gotten iCommune to work here yet...but i figure that's because of the screwy network i'm on...

...i tried a test kdx server...and people that are in the rooms next door to me can't even log in...my network is dirty

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Get info on the folder you want to share, and make sure the everyone else permission is not set to No Access. If it is, set it to read-only, or whatever you want.

6. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

ICOMMUNE SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME

I installed it and I've had no problems. I can access the developers network. He has 2 songs on there, but how do you find other networks? I will exchange network addresses if someone lets me access theirs. Is there a way to know if someone is currently downloading from you?

7. Draft macrumors 6502

Re: ICOMMUNE SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME

Which ports in your firewall do you have open? Do you have any sharing services on?

8. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I just followed the instructions and it worked fine. I allow web sharing, like it states in the instructions.