iCon book in stores now

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zelmo, May 14, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Picked up the new Steve Jobs bio at B&N last night, will try to read it this week. Anyone else pick this up yet?

Don't know why, but every time I see a pic of Steve I think of iGary :rolleyes:

2. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

This will most likely be the next book I buy. Let us know how it is!

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Please post stuff of recent years that you find interesting - paraphrase the key thigns Steve is likely to be pissed at ;)

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

grr, we have to wait another month for it here in london :(

from the sample chapter i read though, it seems like a great book.

5. Chubypig macrumors 6502

Is the title supposed to mean that steve's an icon, like someone to look up to, or is it like a con or convict/con man? I've been wondering this since i saw the title. :confused:

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The author's probably trying to be clever put dual-meanings into the title. :)

First time I heard of this. I'm intrigued, will probably go pick it up soon along with The One Tree (just finished reading The Wounded Land). Thomas Covenant... rocks.

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hence probably part of the reason Steve is pissed.

8. raynegus macrumors regular

Probably has multiple meanings. Icon, as in a cult figure that is looked up to with admiration.

iCon, as a play on "iPod", "iTunes", etc. meaning Steve is a con-artist. While most of the world certainly doesn't see him this way, some die-hard windows fanatics probably do, thinking he can push comparable hardware for a higher price. We, of course, know there is much more to an Apple product than hardware specs, but some can't/won't see that.

Also, icon could refer to the use of the first GUI in the 1984 Macintosh, which used icons to help users navigate the system.

That's the way I see it anyway, although the author might not of had any of this in mind...

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Same here. And i don't even know him.

10. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I went into my local Waldenbooks, and they didnt have the book... I was very disappointed. I guess i'll go pick it up at B&N or just order it through amazon...

11. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I'm only up to around page 60 so far, but here's something I learned about Steve - He used to put his feet in the toilet and flush to relax??:eek: If that's not a poor man's jacuzi... :D

If the balance of the book has the same flavor and this first part, I guess SJ has a right to be peeved. Not that there is a whole slew of new dirt, but who wants to have people keep dredging up stuff you did over 30 years ago and aren't too proud of?

12. iGary Guest

iGary

I have to get to the bookstore tonight. Amazon is dinking with my order. :rolleyes:

13. iGary Guest

iGary

I had a dream I was in Sweden and Steve asked me to help him with a keynote demo last night. I visited a Krispy Kreme factory after that. Too much wine.

The night before I had a dream I played bass with Geddy lee of Rush. Too much Vicodin for my back.

OK back on topic. I hope this book doesn't squash my Steve obsession.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Barnes and Noble here in town has it. Gonna pick it up tonight.

15. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I saw the book at my work a few days ago (Barnes and Noble). Thought about picking it up.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Based on your new avatar, I assume you got it!

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Yup, just finished the first chapter. Hard to put down, I'd recommend it to anyone, not just Mac users. :D

18. iGary Guest

iGary

This book is EXCELLENT, folks. I'm already half-way through it.

Buy. It. Now.

19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

waldens wouldn't necessarily carry it because it's not a major release (yet) and it might not be the market for that waldenbooks (bios, nonfiction, business might not be their strong suit).
    your local borders should have it though :-D

20. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yes, but why?? Why? ... I need rational reasons that support a robust critical analysis.... If it just contains stuff like the toilet flush powermac666 mentioned then I really think I'll keep my money.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

It really contains all the players and people involved from the very beginning. Talks in great detail about Lisa, jobs daughter, her mother, Jobs relationships with other women. Even gets into Apple's first circuit board custoomer and what Jobs had to do to get funding for it.

It also shows the evil and good sides of Steve, how he betrayed Woz many times, the full details of his ousting from Apple, and how he got involved with Next.

It really puts into perspective how critical this man is to the survival of this company and I'm only half through.

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Dassmorelikeit!! The family stuff is less interesting to me but the rest sounds juicy enough.

Ta for the update.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm just brushing the surface. It's a well-done book. far more details than I can even begin to mention.

24. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I just ordered it on Amazon.com. I can't wait to read it! From your review, Gary, it sounds like a great book.

25. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

What font is the book typeset with? That's the only thing that interests me. :)