Icon in Download Limbo...?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eclipse525, Aug 19, 2003.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

OK...here's the problem:

I was downloading a file while I was in Explorer and I had to force quit in the middle of the download. Now I have this 'ghost' icon on my desktop of the file i was downloading and it doesn't want to go away. I tried trashing it and it tells me that it's in the middle of copying(or some other task). I've cleared all the downloads from the download manager in Explorer and it still won't let me trash that icon. I'm lost. I've never encounter this problem before. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this pesky icon?

Thanks!

~e

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Just use a little app like Delete It, or else use the Terminal, by typing:

sudo rm ~/Desktop/filename

(where filename is the name of the ghost file). Whenever you use sudo it will ask you for your administrator password, just enter it and it should work.

edit: obviously this only works if you have the file on the desktop--if it's in the trash then replace "Desktop" with ".Trash" in the Terminal command I mentioned above.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it'll fix itself out once you reboot, hopefully.

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

stupid internet explorer...:rolleyes: always messing things up and crashing and then leaving random files all over the place...get a new browser dude.

5. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

mnkeybsness
    First off DUDE.....i use both browsers because SAFARI isn't quite there yet with certain plug-ins and regardless of what you think, IE is a fine browser.

cb911
    Now, as far as the 'REBOOT IT'LL TAKE CARE OF IT'S SELF'. Don't you think if it were that simple I'd be posting this problem. Thanks anyway.

FredAkbar
    and finally.....THANK YOU......the 'rm' command worked. I was also told as a last resort that, 'sudo rm' would have helped. Oh...you can also type in 'rm' and then just drag the icon in the terminal window and it just creates the path automatically. Very cool. Thanks again.

~e

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

glad to hear that you've got it all sorted now.

must've been some pretty messed up stuff to use the old 'sudo rm' on it.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

wow eclipse, simmer down...i'm glad your problem was fixed...i know that there are a lot of stubborn files that get put into OS X that need the sudo rm command. but internet explorer is slow, bloated, and buggy. there are many great alternatives out there like Camino, Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Opera...all which i have found are more stable and work just as well as IE with practically everything.

8. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

mnkeybsness.......sorry if that came off a little 'high-strung'. Must've been a tough day. You are right....IE is a bloated app (in suit with all MS warez). Perhaps, I'll check out the other options. I personally don't like to have five different browser in my system. Reestablishing bookmarks/favorites from browser to browser is a pain. UNLESS you or anybody knows of a painless way to somehow sync up bookmarks/favorites from browser to browser? Also, if you were to have ONE other browser in you system other than Safari which one would you use?

~e

9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

definately go with Camino see link in my last post...i think almost everyone else would agree that camino is top dog.

there is an easy way to get your bookmarks from IE...in Camino, go to the Camino Menu and Select "Import Bookmarks"! Camino should automatically find the IE bookmarks and you can select them, or go find your other browsers' bookmarks.