Icon Maker Application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GodBless, Mar 10, 2005.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I've always wondered how to make icons and so one day I discovered the "Icon Composer" application. It didn't look like a professional icon composer because it had a pixelated icon. Isn't that an oxymoron for an icon maker to have a pixelated icon? Pretty poor example if you ask me.

Anyway; am I using the right Application to make professional icons?

I've also noticed that if you open the icon files of Apple built-in OS X applications in the Icon Composer application that it only has 3 sizes for each icon. Why does Icon Composer have 4 sizes to make icons if Apple only uses three of them on all of their Apps?

I want to use Photoshop to create my own icons so should I use just the three slots sizes that Apple uses on their applications (16X16; 32X32; 128X128) and disregard the 48X48 slot icon size in the application?

What in the world is a Bit Mask and why isn't there one for the full sized (128X128) icon? Does this have to do with transparency?

By the way; are there better icon maker applications out their or is this the best one?

Thanks for any feedback...No...No...not the microphone/speaker kind. :D

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

3. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

If possible it would be great of you could give me a comparison between iconographer and Icon Composer? Thanks.

4. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

5. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

If you have Panther Icon Composer comes on the developer's install disk.

I just downloaded iconographer and discovered that it is sort of like a picture editor but I don't understand why you can only edit 32X32 pixel icons and not 128X128. It says it supports icons up to 128X128, but when you create a new icon it is always 32x32 pixel and you can't make it bigger. :confused:

The features of the application otherwise look good though.

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

You have to scroll up in that side bar, and it will give you the 128x128 icon.

7. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Oh... I see how Iconographer works now; after experimenting with it a bit. It has far more features than Icon Composer but isn't quite as easy to use. Thanks for getting me familiar with it. I'll probably use it quite a bit.

8. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

It is great!
    Especially when used alongside photoshop!