icon previews pictures and movies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Apr 14, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

hey, just wondering how to get files like pictures and mpg movies to show a preview of the file in the icon, like in XP with the pictures folder, i know that i have this on my other computer, iMac G4, i don't want to do the thing like with folder actions, isn't there a default setting that will do this for me?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Go to view options (you can get to it from the gear-shaped icon in the finder window) and select the "Show Icon Preview" option. The folder may have to be in the icon view before this option is available to you.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just out of interest, would it use up a significant amount of resources doing this? Does anyone know if it'll slow down the Finder because I've been getting more and more bouncing beachballs recently.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would recommend setting it to do this for your pictures folder and maybe your movies folder? (I'm not actually sure if this works for movies?). I don't think it would make Finder slower for other folders when these aren't open....

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks mkrishnan. It'd be pretty nice to see the pictures as they are rather than just the Preview.app icon.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In addition to turning on the preview for the Pictures folder, I also made the icons huge, just for that folder (80x80, I think). I find it works out well. I don't know of an easy way, though, to cascade this to the subfolders, without applying it to all folders. So my iPhoto library isn't setup like this, since its in a subfolder. But I have some desktop images and other misc. T in my Pictures root, so it works for that. I don't manually snoop my iPhoto library often anyway.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I just tried to then... Talk about a rabbit warren! When you consider how well iTunes organises your music, it just seems so weird that OSX makes such a mess of your photo directories. :confused:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it looks good as long as you're in iPhoto! :rolleyes: ;) :D