Icon themes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bfg110, Oct 21, 2006.

1. bfg110 macrumors member

Hello, I just downloaded icons and want to use them as icons for my current icons. I have looked on mac help and through the forum and have learned that you can change icons... I just don't know how.

If anyone has a link to instructions or to a post about this I will be most greatful. They are really cool autumn icons and I would really love to know how to use them.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's easy to do it manually...

1. Select the icon you want to change your folder, app or file to.
    2. Choose "Get Info" from the File Menu, or click command-I.
    3. Click the icon in the upper left of the info window.
    4. Choose "Copy" from the Edit menu (or type command-C).
    5. Select your folder, app or file on the desktop and "Get Info" for it.
    6. Click the icon in the upper left of the info window.
    7. Select "Paste" (command-V) from the Edit Menu.

There's also CandyBar, a nice little app for blanket, system-wide changes – it'll also allow you to change icons like Finder and Trash that you can't normally change without any behind the scenes fiddling.

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

There was a thread about icons the other day. Some more information there. Have fun :)

4. bfg110 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

For anyone reading this that wanted to know information as well. The other thread speaks of an app called CANDY BAR. I have found this very easy and exactly what I was looking for...

Here is a link...

http://www.panic.com/candybar/

You can get a free trial that allows you to use it 15 times.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

6. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

7. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to change the default icon for a file? I've changed many of my application icons etc, but I've found a really nice set for files (avi, mpg, jpeg etc) that I'd like to use, but I don't want to have to change them all manually each time one is created.

Is there a way to change the default? (For the record, I'm running Tiger- I've seen a few sets of instructions for things that say they're designed for Panther / Jaguar)

thanks in advace

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

CandyBar lets you change the default icons for:
    documents
    generic folders
    pictures
    sound
    text
    and many others.

Attached are snapshots of the CandyBar system icons window. All of these can be changed by dragging and dropping. The application icons are in a different window and can be changed the same way.

Attached Files:

9. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I can't find anything in candybar that will allow me to change the default icon for specific file types. For example, when I download an avi or mp4, i get the quicktime icon over it (see attachment). I want to be able to change the default icons so that a different icon will automatically appear when I download another avi or mp4

Attached Files:

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Well you're out of luck with CandyBar. Here's what I'm thinking, although I'm no expert: if you look at the default Tiger icons it's only the title underneath that changes. For example MP3 and MPEG4 have the same picture icon (double crotchet) but underneath it says MP3 or MPEG. So even the OS doesn't descriminate as you want. But as I said, I'm no expert.

11. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Ok, well thanks for trying anyway. I found this set on a website, which someone has created, so there must be a way to change the defaults. Ill justhave to wait and see if anyone comes up with anything

Attached Files:

12. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I know.... :D

you open up CandyBar and go to the "App Extras"-thingie and you find the program you have set as the defaut to open the documents your interested in changing the icons for in finder, then you drag the program to the "drag program to here"-thingie and - whooop magic - you find the file-types in the buttom and change them!

simple as that! :) if you understand what I mean of cause... :D
    if you didn't - just say so and I'll make an efford to write correct english! :D

13. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I did as you said, got all the icons up, and changed them. applied the changes, but they're all still the same. never mind, thanks for trying though

14. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

15. will0407 macrumors 6502a

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no just a logout is required for the changes to take place sometimes. forces finder to reset.

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I like those icons. Can you let me know where you got them? Ta.

18. iVersa macrumors 6502

Does anyone have this in icon format? Png would do

[​IMG]