Icon Transparency

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Muskie, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

I know this is the web design section, but I don't know where else to ask this. Move it if needed, and I appologize in advance.

I made an icon or my desktop in photoshop. I saved it as a *.gif and saved the transparency. I want to use this icon for one of my folders, but I can't figure out how to get the transparency to be, well, transparent when I copy it to the folder, I just get white. Am I saving it wrong? Or placing it wrong? Or what? When I open it back up in PS, sure enough, trasparent background. Anyone know? Thanks

2. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Download Iconographer (search in google) then in photoshop, select all and "copy merged", then go into Iconographer (in the 128x128 icon) and "paste as icon and mask". Then save as an icon or "copy as icon and mask".

3. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

i did what you said, and i think i did it right. but now i dont know what to do with it. how do i use it as an icon. i tried the old "get info" copy paste, but that didn't work, i still get white where it should be transparent.

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

try flattening the image (assuming you don't have a background layer) instead of "copy merged", then select all and copy...

5. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Ah, I figured it out. Turns out I saved it as a 'Mac OS X' icon file-type. I read the faq that came with iconographer, and it said that despite the name, the OSX Finder couldn't read these files. So I had to save it as a 'Mac OS (Universal)'. Works just fine now, thanks for your help.