Icons 101: Some Basic Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bursty, May 15, 2006.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I'm trying to change my desktop up a little bit and I'm having some problems. So I have a few basic icon questions.

1. First, I cant figure out how to change the Finder icon. I'm sure its been discussed a ton of time, but I havent found much by searching. Any tips?

2. When I change the icon for Shiira, as soon as I close it, it changes right back. Has anyone successfully changed the icon for Shiira?

3. Finally, how do you change the Sys Pref icon? The "paste" option is just blocked out. Any help?

4. Also, if I change the icon of something like Mail, how do I get it back to the stock icon?

I know these are pretty newbie questions, but if you have any input, I'd appreciate it. :)

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

1) to change the finder icon you have to replace the icon file inside the finder and in the dock the png file (which i believe controls the image on the dock). The paths are as follows from your root.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/Finder.icns
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/finder.png

2) In Shiira you can change the icon forever by replacing the icns file itself. Although the copy and paste method should work, I don't know why Shiira reverts back.

/Applications/Shiira.app/Contents/Resources/Shiira.icns

Although I haven't tried since i use safari, but the basic principle is that shiira is calling for that resource to icon the app container.

3) The sys pre icon by default can't be changed since the permissions on that application is set to read only. You will have to get the info to sys pref and under "Ownership and Permissions" to Read and write. You can change it to read and write by getting the details and changing the owner (hit the lock). Then you should be able to do the copy and paste icon method, or you can go into the application contents and replace the corresponding icon file like I suggested in #2.

4) If you use the copy and paste method rather then the replace icns method I suggested for #2, then you just get the info to mail, select the icon and hit delete. By default the icon that is associated will default back when the custom icon is deleted.

Many will respond to this thread by telling you to go get Candy Bar, and you probably should check it out if you feel you don't want to deal with changing system owned things or feel that your time is worth the money spent on Candy Bar. I personally don't use it, but there are many happy users, and plenty on this forum.

* Remember to back up if you don't like the changes.

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I just got Candybar and it works fantastically.

What about programs like Adium? When someone messages me on Adium, it displays the name above the icon, is there a way to change Adiums icon?

4. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Well Adium uses specific types of icons, as they have to change as you said when your online/offline/messaged and such. The best place to get icons that I know of for Adium is AdiumXtras.com (here is the direct link to the dock icon area). When you find one you like, just click the the link under the install field on the page, and it will automatically install the dock icon into Adium. Then all you have to do is go into Adium's preferences and check under the 'Appearance' tab for Dock icons and choose the one you just downloaded.

6. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Thanks for the link, thats exactly what I needed :)