Icons being changed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ugg, May 15, 2005.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I got a new PB in Feb. and about a month after I got it, I had this weird thing happen. Every once in awhile an icon will change. It might be a folder on my desktop that changes to a Safari icon, and once even an app in my dock took the icon of another app. It's more or less constant and seems to clear up for a little bit after I restart. I've repaired permissions almost constantly but to no avail. I'm still running Panther and am thinking the best thing is a clean install but before I do that I thought I'd run it by the board to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, it happens now & then in Panther. A restart does fix it but force-quitting (i.e. relaunching) the Finder also works as well -- a little bit quicker than rebooting.

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yep, it's a bug in the finder. All I do is relaunch the finder if I notice it happening and it clears it right up.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I changed practically all of my icons ages ago and they never seem to change back, but I have heard of this problem before. Just a minor nuisance more than anything...

5. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Cool, i was beginning to think I had virus or something. I didn't think of just relaunching the finder, I'll do that next time.

Thanks!

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, it can be a little annoying, but there's not much else you can do...

7. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I used to have that happen all the time. After seeing this post I realized that now that I've upgraded to Tiger, it hasn't happened at all...

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

With all the troubles being reported in the 10.4.1. thread, it sounds like this would be the least of your worries... ;)