Icons changing on their own.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by parrothead, May 9, 2005.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    I did a quick search on the forums but didnt really find anything like this so....

I have noticed a strange bug in Panther on both my computer (1.25 Albook) and my wife's computer (700mhz ibook). The bug is that the icons for random items will change to something else. Sometimes it is icons for apps, sometimes for files, folders, etc. It doesn't seem to have any affect on how things work, it just looks funny. Repairing permissions, logging out, running cron jobs, havent worked to correct the problem. However, restarting does correct the bug. But then eventually new files are changed.

Has anyone seen this on their systems? Any clues on what is goin on and how to stop it from happening? :confused:

EDIT: mods, this might be better in the OSX section rather than the other apps section, feel free to move it.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Does it happen in all accounts? If you've only got the one account, maybe try setting up a new one and seeing if that eventually gets the bug too.
  3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    This happened to me on occasion in Jaguar and Panther – relaunching the Finder (through the Force Quit menu) puts the icons back to what they should be. It's not happened yet under Tiger though (fingers crossed).
  4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Same here, panther used to play bad with icons sometimes. Here's hoping tiger likes custom icons.