Icons don't appear until after search..?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thrash911, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hellow fellows,

I really tried to find a solution to this on this board and on www, but with no luck.. :(

I once had a problem, when downloading something to the desktop, it does not appear until I do a search for it. As soon as it is found, it suddenly appeared. VERY annoying. I created a folder for downloads instead, an didn't think of it again.. Until today!

I have downloaded some stuffit archives. When I unpack the contents, not all the icons are appearing!! :mad: :mad: Same thing with a lot of different stuffit archives. Once again, if I search for some of the files I KNOW is in the archive, it appears magically when it is found.. It is MOST LIKELY not the fault of stuffit or the archives. It's some kind of annoying bug in OSX.

This is extremely frustrating. Anyone know of this problem? Someone with a solution or a cause, or just something.. I'd like to get this fixed, or at least know what the hell is causing it..

Repairing file permissions did not help.. What else?

Thanks a lot in advance, good people. ;)

EDIT: If I relaunch Finder (via Force Quit), all unpacked items from an archive appears. But if I then unpack another archive, some icons are missing AGAIN. Argh!

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

No, it's some kind of annoying buy in Stuffit Expander which was acknowledged. Do you have the latest version? I haven't experienced it lately.

The solution when it first cropped up (in version 9 or something) was to have it expand all files into folders, even if the archive only contained one file. The preference is "Create Surrounding Folder: Always"

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

That worked like a charm! :) Thanks a lot for that!! I can live with that extra folder it creates.. Yes I do have the very lates version and build. Sorry, for assuming it was an OSX fault. It's just that the symptom was exactly the same for the other problem. It's gotta be somehow related - maybe.. ;)

Thanks again!