Icons getting confused

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am running 10.4.8 on an Intel Mac and sometimes the icons within an application get "confused", for example I did a About Finder and it's icon was the Automator icon. Relaunched Finder and it fixed it, now safari's DMG icons look like a combination of my Games folder and Final Cut's logo. Any idea what is causing this, or how to fix it? I think I'm going to run an archive install (assuming the Migration Assistant messed things up)

[​IMG]

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, have you got any theme changers installed? Have you tried repairing permissions from Disk Utility? What did you transfer with Migration Assistant? That app can be pretty dodgy if you use it for apps and settings, especially going from PPC to Intel. :)

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

No theme changers installed, I did repair permissions and verified the disk, I transfered everything with MA (and it was from PPC to Intel). So I guess that's the problem.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've had this problem before. I believe the cause is an obscure icon caching bug that's been around ever since Mac OS X v10.3.0. Apple has fixed most occurrences of it, but you may have stumbled upon one of the instances where it hasn't been fixed.

Believe it or not, you don't have to restart or log out to fix this. Relaunching the Finder (via the Force Quit dialog) is enough.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You'll probably be fine running with the migrated system, but in future I recommend manually reinstalling apps and reconfiguring specific preferences. :)

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This method often works and if it fails restart:).

Bless