icons mixed up... i thought panther didn't have a desktop DB??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by plunar, Mar 1, 2004.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

ok, this has been going on for a while, and has appeared under no less the THREE clean installs of panther. basically, my icons get messed up. just now, my microsoft entourage program got labled with the AOL icon. earlier today some graphic converter files had the msn icon. interestingly, it was the icon that msn has in the dock when your status is "away" - with the little clock on the lower left.

this is annoyingly ridiculous. does anyone else have this problem, or know the cause/solution?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Many have had this problem. I think a fix for it will come with the 10.3.3 update.

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I have had this issue also. was never too bad for me and now doesn't happen at all. when it did happen to me it would not only switch but some like ichat lost the icon all together. despite the glitches in panther it is the best os ever made by anyone in my opinion.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yep, and the messed up icons aren't limited to just the "wrong" program; I've seen outright corrupted messes from time to time.

It's significantly different from a bad desktop DB, though, since it's totally a visual glitch, and is only temporary--the files are still mapped to the correct location, and a restart will fix the bugs. Desktop DB funkyness, of course, would cause the wrong app to open, and needed a rebuild to repair.

I assume it's some sort of cache corruption issue, since it only seems to happen when my computer's been on for about a week straight, but it is disconcerting when you first see it. Better a cosmetic bug than a destructive one, I guess, and hopefully 10.3.3 will fix it.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I've had a problem where an icon will turn into total jibberish (like someone opened the icon in Photoshop and did a Noise filter on it) and the names of my hard drives on the desktop will always have artifacts on them; I'll have to click on them and then off them for the artifacts to go away. Very annoying!