Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tclare, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Tclare macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2006
    I have recently installed a few new icons, I have changed the programs to their new icons. I then placed the programs on my dock. But as soon as i placed them there i knew that i didn't like them. Is there any way i can replace them to their original icon. The programs in question are:

1. Mail
    2. Itunes
    3. Iphoto
    4. Firefox

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Go to the application in Finder, click once to highlight the app, and then hit Command-I to bring up the info pane. Click once on the custom icon to highlight it, and then hit delete to restore it to the default icon.

Clicking on the app in the Dock to launch the app should then reset the Dock icon.
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    This would be a good time to mention that if you are using custom icons for things, you might want to make backup "copies" of them as well. I do this by creating empty folders and making the folder icons my custom icons.

Then, in case the icon gets whacked for whatever reason, I can pull from the "original" icon folder.

As WildCowboy notes, hitting delete will go back to the original default icon. It will not revert to whatever was used prior to the most recent icon unless it was the default.
  4. Tclare thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2006
    Thanks so much guys! I was getting really worried there.