Icons

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Juswitched, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Juswitched macrumors newbie

Where can I find a huge selection of icons (preferably sports) to replace my default ones with? I know that once I download the icon I just copy and paste it in the "get info" pane but what if I want to switch back to my stock icons? Are they stored somewhere on my hard drive? Thanks.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Iconfactory is another site you could try...or even Iconbuilder if you're feeling adventurous and want to give building your own icons a shot (need photoshop though).

3. SharkyMark macrumors newbie

Select the icon in the "get info" menu and just use cut from the edit menu. The standard icon should reappear now.

4. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

5. raynegus macrumors regular

In the Get Info box, you can also click the icon and hit the delete key to restore the original.

6. starrin macrumors member

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to make OS X use a specific icon based on a filetype -- such as .war or .zip ?

Thanks in advance,

Starrin

7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Definitely check out the Iconfactory. They've got some of the best Mac icons out there.

You can change system-wide icons in one of two ways.
    1. You can hack the resource file that contains the default icons and change them there (however, it is inconvenient, messy, and dangerous).
    2. The Iconfactory (once again) and Panic have an application called CandyBar that changes system default icons easily and safely.

Check out CandyBar. It's shareware, but it's worth it.

8. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you said to get it back to the normal icon but all it did was change the icon to a white peice of paper. I also tried the cut command but that did not do anything. I tried it on a application that I trashed so it doesn't really matter but for the future I would like to be able to change icons back. Anyone know what's wrong?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

If the application's package doesn't contain an icon file, it will go back to the default application icon, which is a piece of paper with the pencil, ruler, etc.

You can check if there are icon files by CTRL-clicking on the application and choosing "Show Package Contents" then navigating to the Resources folder and looking for .icns files.

A quick hint - before you change the icon on a file, do a CTRL-X to cut the icon. If it is the default icon for that file, nothing will happen. If it changes, then you will lose that icon if you paste a new one on top of it.

You can easily save these icons by creating new folders and copying the old icon onto the folder. You can then copy it back from that folder after you get tired of the new icon.

10. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good idea about making a folder for stock icons. Thanks a lot!