ICQ Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eXan, Oct 9, 2006.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Recently I've discovered a need to have an ICQ account. I downloaded ICQ 3.4 from ICQ's site, installed it, but wen I try to register, it sometimes crashes and sometimes says something like "The registration service is temporarily unavailable to you, you may try again later".

Well, I tryed again later, but it still doesnt work. Any ideas how to fix it?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Try using Adium to logon to ICQ as the ICQ for Mac program is not supported too well.

3. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Before I downloaded ICQ I tryed to download AdiumX, but at first attampt Safari crashed when I've already downloaded 10.5 or 11 MB, at the second attempt to download it, it also stopped at 10.5 MBs, so it couid not mount the disk image.

I'm lost :confused:

4. IT10 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

First time poster here.
    Well I took delivery of my BlackBook today, wish I'd found this site before as it would have answered many of the questions I had!

Anyway, my first question connected to the above. After reading ICQ does not support Mac very well I downloaded Adium.
    All good, downlaod went fine etc
    Put my MSN account in no problem, it connects and stuff.
    But when I try and connect with the ICQ account I get a 'GAIM Error' and it says something about a screen name being invalid. I wasn't aware I registered a screen name!

Anyone come across this and know a solution at all?

Cheers

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

ICQ uses numbers instead of names to refer to users. Make sure you're typing in the right number that was assigned to you when you created an ICQ account (and your password, of course). If you don't have an ICQ account, you'll have to create one. I'm not an ICQ user, so I don't know how that's done.

6. IT10 macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply.
    I have put in the number and password right, as per I have been using for years on PC.
    Even weirder, although I pick the ICQ icon and it asks for ICQ number, in the account settings it by default gives an AOL server address. I have changed this to the ICQ as per settings in ICQ itself and still no joy :(

Vert weird. Anyone got any more ideas?