iCreate Magazine

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Aug 21, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Has anyone seen/read the magazine for mac called iCreate? I picked up a copy the other day (issue 8), and I think its the best mac magazine I have ever read. I believe it is around 120 pages (its bigger, dimensionally, than a normal magazine), and there are only about 3-4 pages of advertising.

The magazine is awesome. Great photos. Great step by step walkthroughs in just about every mac app. Tells you how to make a DVD from start to finish. Even stuff like good lighting bulbs when shooting films, to FCP stuff, etc.

I recommend this magazine!

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

They have that at my Barnes and Noble, and I don't think it's a bad rag at all. Unfortunately, there is too much emphasis on iMovie and iDVD to appeal to the prosumers who are looking for a good read. It seems iCreate is written for the more recreational mac user. Still, good stuff.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a lot of good stuff for going beyond opening the box. A lot of people should be learning from the tutorials in it. MacFormat is the only other Mac-oriented magazine to really touch on a lot of those issues.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah iCreates not bad.

My problem with Mac magazines is that at least this year many have come out with reviews/reports on hardware that has just been superceeded. Editing/publishing delays mean that content is always delayed but its damn annoying.

Also many mag articles are too short to give any real depth and I find that almost nothing in many articles hasn't already been made freely available on the net.

I guess what I am hoping for is more a net focused magazine support, like I guess Macworld has, but with even more exclusive reader material that gets updated almost every day. Maybe macworld is like that but I can't really evaluate it from the website.

Oh, and it would be nice for dialup mac owners if they routinely put the last 6 months worth of Apple updates from the web on their discs and gave a newbie video of how to identify the ones you need and install them.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

To me, iCreate doesn't have short articles on stuff.

It showed me how to send text messages to other cell phones from my mac. I am sure some people knew they could do that, but I didnt.

It explains everything in the Final Cut Express 2 interface. It has like 6 pages of info, and tons of pictures. It even does a tutorial like it did on FCE2 for DVD Studio Pro! Its awesome.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well that sounds better than some of the mac mags I have been collecting.

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Hate to say it, but six pages with tons of pictures is hardly scratching the surface.

8. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hate to say it, but the tutorials/how-to stuff is better than any mac magazine out there.

The 6 pages covers a LOT of stuff in FCE2, it tells you what every single buttons purpose is.

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I have to agree that its not aimed at the professional. Some of the things covered are pretty basic, but theres a market for it. I have to complain about the price, its a little high for what you get. Yeah the pics are cool at the start "eyecandy", nice. But to me it always seems a little late with news etc. Why pay £4 (or there abouts) for something that I can get free on the net? I used to buy macuser but thats just too expensive now. Creative Review, now theres a magazine actually worth the £5 it costs. ;)