Icurve and 17" Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I will be getting the 17" Powerbook shortly for college and Ive noticed that in many of the pics of the powerbooks on this site they are raised up by something. Most of the time its the Icurve. Then I notice that they have a second keybord and a mouse. What are the reasons for this? Is it easier to type or something? Or easier to veiw? :confused:

Thanks!

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yes its a lot easier to type and use a mouse on a powerbook. The iCurve is used to raise the screen to a better view height. It is easier on the eyes to look straight ahead rather then down.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Its also good because it rises the powerbook up from the table so that air can travel underneath it to help cool the bottom of the laptop

4. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

what about these?

i've been looking for a stand for my 17" too. i need it to be higher so i can use it in live performance while standing (laptop sits at the dame level as turntable so it needs to be raised so i can see it better). anyone use one of these? they are quite expensive and a little cheap looking.

the iCurve might be a better choice for most people. question to those eho own an iCurve... how high does it raise the PB and how far back from 90º can the screen sit? ... if you don't mind me asking. ;)

peace.

6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I have an iCurve that I use along with a Apple BT keyboard and mouse. It Makes the PB easier to view, cooler and it really clears my desk of crap. I would definitely recommend it if you're going to be using your PB at a desk.

7. matthutch macrumors regular

it raises my 12" powerbook to a little lower then the top of my 17" LG Flatron CRT screen (so pretty much perfect viewing level.
    The icurve tilts forward slightly, so the screen doesn't go back as though it were horizontal (not as far back as if the laptop was sitting on a desk with the sceen all the way back) however it is still easy to see properly even when standing pretty much directly above the screen.

If you are thinking of getting one you will want an external mouse and keyboard, the KB is stored easily under the icurve, so it isnt too bad.

8. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

MacAddict didnt recommend it, but if you really want it to look like an iMac..

Second, check into the current Macaddict issue it has an article called "Your Computer Is killing You" and it has a ton if information of why things like iCurves are good. (It's mostly an egronomics article)

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

it's not really the imac thing... it's the ability to spin it and raise it higher than normal. i use it in a setup with a mixer and a CDX. i need to stand to use the turntable, but the laptop sits too low on the same table. i need something that will let me see my sequences and effects. freeing up the space below is a plus so i can use a MIDI controller down there... the keyboard and mouse won't be used all that much once it's all set up correctly. :)

i may just settle on getting the iCurve or building my own stand. i don't think i can trust the Lapvantage without seeing it in action.

peace.

10. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Wait they didn't recommend it and then said that it was good for you? :confused:

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

He was refering to the Lapvantage ... the recomendation was for the iCurve.

peace.

12. Cranky McGuy macrumors newbie

Cranky McGuy

Perfect Solution

I think MacAddict's reviewers were in a bad mood. :rolleyes: Lapvantage looks cool. I *like* the fact it looks like the G4 iMac. I've been looking for a home base option for my iBook. I've been using the Podium Coolpad (www.roadtools.com), which is great for portable use (I can snatch it up with my iBook easily) and helps keep my iBook off my family jewels when I'm on the road, but when I'm using it at home at the kitchen table the screen isn't high enough and there's no room for a keyboard. Not good for posture or long hours typing away. Besides, I've got an ergonomic keyboard I'd rather use. The Lapvantage elevated the iBook up to my eye level and leaves room for mouse AND keyboard. Both of those are plusses in my book. But according to them it grinds when it rotates. And is kinda wobbly. That's an issue that will affect the product's usefullness more than whether they think it looks tacky or not.