iCurve or Coolpad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fitinferno, Apr 7, 2005.

1. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about this decision for a while now. I just got a new PB (2nd one) and I don't want it getting abused at all. So I think a good thing to do is to get some air under it and have decided on a stand. However, I've looked at many, many posts from this forum from the past and still have not been able to come to a good decision. The iLap is very lovable, but expensive, so I got down to the Coolpad vs the iCurve.

I just need help between these two. I don't really ever use my PB on my lap. It's generally on my desk except when I go to work or school. Thus, I figured the iCurve because of this since it 'll lift it up to a nice height and reduce eyestrain, etc. However, the coolpad looks nice because it seems like it will lift it up to a very good height, but I became concerned about how it will be typing on the PB. Apparently, a positive rake is bad for the wrists, however having it backwards with a negative rake is bad for the neck because you have to look down on the screen even more. Makes the Coolpad sound rather useless, yet I've heard so many people say they love it.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on both and in comparison to each other? I find it's been so hard to compare because they are two completely different types of stands...which is what is making it hard to decide as well.

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Get the iCurve and an external keyboard/mouse.

Thank me later. ;)

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i dont regret a penny spent on my ilap...the padding is velvet and feels incredible...it dissipates the heat very evenly and very well and you can remove the padding and use the ilap on a desk on a slant and still type on it perfectly..IMO i say save a few bucks up and get an ilap but if not get the icurve...my friend has one and it is pretty nice

4. macdad2 macrumors member

iCurve or Coolpad?

Absolutely agree with the iLap route. I've found you probably won't miss the extra 20 dollars (or whatever) a month from now. I use mine on a desk mostly with an external keyboard and mouse but being to lay on the couch last night surfing the net and answering e-mails for two hours with my PB cool as a cucumber was awesome!

5. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

As nice as the iCurve looks, part of me thinks its criminal to charge that amount of money for a stationary piece of lucite that probably cost about 10¢ to produce (and almost no money for R&D, as the thing is so primitive).

I've never used the iLap, but as far as I can see this thing is probably much more worthy of your money. Personally I have used the Coolpad for years and it works quite well. You can also travel with it, unlike the impractical iCurve.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

get the coolpad - you can adjust it to your liking. I have it, i have it on the highest setting, and have an external keyboard and mouse and it rocks.
    I don't see how air gets through the ilap

7. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah...it's even worse being in England rather than America. I sometimes just dream of the buying spree I'd go on if I went to America with an empty suitcase and a few hundred pounds...hehe.

Thanks so much for all the replies. The iLap definitely looks like it'd have me using my PB on my lap finally. I think someone, and possibly in this forum, said that he takes his iLap out to coffee shops and the such with him which I found surprising.

I've just gotten concerned about ergonomics recently. I realised finally how much time I really do spend in front of my computer everyday and how this will effect me 20 years down the line.

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

The iCurve does seem a little pricey. I'd like to get my PowerBook off my desk for better air circulation. It does get pretty hot. I would also like to raise it up more towards eye level.

I use my PowerBook a lot on the couch. I should probably get the iLap because of health reasons and it's cheaper than banking my sperm.

9. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

I should really think this way a bit. It's definitely worth putting in a bit of extra money now than winding up needing medical intervention down the line for messing oneself up because of cheapness...lol.

10. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, you SHOULD be concerned with ergonomics. The amount of computer related health problems is quite high nowadays; even children are getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

REMEMBER: our bodies were not designed to tap keys, push a mouse around, and stare at artificial light all day. Pay extra attention to the shoulder/neck area and do a few exercises every hour if you're on a computer all day (Yoga is very good for this, by the way). The shoulder in particular is designed for large gross movements - not the intrinsic movements required to "mouse" - so make sure you are not moving the shoulder when you use your mouse.

Also, make sure that your seat is the correct height and your weight is falling forward onto the ischium bones instead of letting your lower back bulge out. Trust me, you will not regret the little effort that you invest into this 20 years down the line!

11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

the air doesnt go through the ilap and its not designed to...the heat radiates off the bottome of the 'book and then dissipates onto the alumium plate of which the ilap is made of...so therefore the aluminum heats up and not your 'book....i have never had my cpu temps go above 114 degrees F since i have had my ilap..and that is even while i am watching movies and such...normally when it is the hottest

12. jessearl macrumors member

I bought the Ergo Stand by PowerSupport USA about a month ago after looking at all the options available for stands.

It's perhaps the priciest of the bunch, but also the sturdiest, most well constructed and similar in design to a Powerbook.

I've got more pictures and with more detail if anyone wants to see them. Just e-mail me.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/default.php

Attached Files:

13. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

by all things holy does that thing look darn ugly :confused:

14. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Alexf, thanks for the ergonomics tips :) I will definitely keep them in mind, however it often can be hard to living in a University hall (I've been given two VERY uncomfortable chairs for my room and am not allowed to get rid of them--ergonomics galore couldn't make these things work!).

All of the comments about the iLap are really making me get tempted into springing the £38 (absolute cheapest I could find w/in the UK). I won't get a trip to the States until August, if then, so I don't know if I would want to wait.

I just uncovered some stories about PBs being put on the iCurve and then later falling off. Seems like it is a risk--if you're the unlucky person who gets that rare faulty iCurve...

That ergo you posted jessearl doesn't exactly look like something I'd consider. It still takes up the same amount of deskspace as a stand that allows for the use of the keyboard on the PB and yet it still seems like it'd be hard to type on without using an external keyboard. But thanks for the addition!

I wish I weren't so overwhelmed with choice!

15. jessearl macrumors member

I was having problems with my having the Powerbook on my desk and typing with it. It was either in a comfortable position for typing, but then the screen was at too low an angle, or I'd push the PB back on the desk and have it in a more comfortable viewing position, but then with poor typing posture.

The Ergo Stand lifts the monitor of the PB at eyelevel, and it's adjustable as to the angle you want the keyboard as well. I use the wireless Apple keyboard and the bluetooth IoGear mouse. When I need to clear off deskspace, the keyboard slides onto the stand beneath the laptop and out of the way.

It works for me.

16. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

iCurve + Bluetooth = !!!

I love my iCurve! It has turned my little iBook G4 into my main desktop computer. Once you use an iCurve on your desk you'll never want to go without one. Like ChrisBrightwell said, though, be sure you get an external keyboard and mouse. Mine are Bluetooth and the combination is amazing! Plus, there's lots of room under the iCurve for an external HD and/or DVD writer. Keeps them handy but out of the way.

Here's a quick photo... runs cool, looks cool, rock on!

Attached Files:

17. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

That is one really nice setup erondeau! Wow :)

I thank everyone for all the replies. I think I may just chip in the extra money for an iLap over coolpad cuz I don't want to regret the purchase when all is said and done. Selling stuff on ebay should bring the fundage up enough, I hope.

18. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I just bought a used iCurve off of ebay and love it. It's great to have the computer higher up because my neck doesn't get sore anymore from leaning two close to the screen. It's surprisingly sturdy, and doesn't wiggle that much when pressure it add to use the trackpad occasionally. It isn't study enough to type on though.

19. inlimbo macrumors 6502

iLap annd optical drive?

Im thinking of getting an iLap. The only problem I see with it is that u can't use the CD drive while it is in the stand. :( I would imagine that would irritate me sometimes.

iLap users had any problem with this?

I dont think I will get a iCurve bec then I have to get an external keyboard as well. And I really like the PB keyboard. So the iCurve is really expensive if u dont have an external keyboard and mouse.

For those who are tight: I just use a USB fan that I got of ebay for $1 AUD (yep 1 buck!) and put it near the hinge and it cools it down very quickly. But I want a stand - at the moment my PB sits on 2 books (The Simpsons and Philosphy and One World: the ethics of globalisation)

20. macdad2 macrumors member

"u can't use the CD drive while it is in the stand"

Not at all true. The front cusion is soft enough to move out of the way to insert and remove cds - or i just temporarily set the front edge of my powerbook on the cushion while ejecting. It's really not a big deal at all.

21. inlimbo macrumors 6502

excellent!!!! Thats it im getting me an iLap! :)

22. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

The iCurve is pretty simple for the price but I've been very happy with the one I have under my 12" iBook. It really makes things a lot better than without it, and the airflow under the iBook allows for a good deal of heat release.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My vote is for the iCurve. Never an issue when I used for my PB 12".

24. sworthy macrumors regular

coolpad if you want to use your pb's keyboard, and icurve if you want to use an external mouse and keyboard.