iCurve Stand -Are the worth it or just cool looking?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dcl, Aug 5, 2006.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

iCurve Stand -Are the worth it or just cool looking:cool: ?

Was trying to unclutter my desk as well as cool down my macbook by letting air circulate around it. Already have external monitor and looking for keyboard.

With iCurve costing $25-35, would I be better off just using a couple of small phone books?

2. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I had bought one before, but took it back the next day. They are sort of awkward to use...not at the appropriate eye level for me. Not worth the cost IMO.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

There are lots of threads on this already. I think my iCurve was a good purchase, though it is a bit pricey.

4. jrbsman macrumors member

I really like it

I was in the same boat as you... It looks nice but is it really worth it. Well I got it as a gift after finding a store with a good price for the person buying it for me. It is totally great in my opinion. Raises my iBook up to a good level and I don't know if it's keeping it cooler but I have been doing a lot of editing recently and I don't think the fans have come on once, so i guess it's working. I also like the fact that it saves desk space... if i want to i can tuck my keyboard and mouse underneath and get all that room back.

Overall, it does everything I want and I have been completely satisfied.

5. Gamdoan macrumors newbie

Gamdoan

I love my iCurve. I store my USB Hub under it, and I use Apple's BT Keyboard and Mouse with it. Although I am seriously considering getting the BT Mighty Mouse :rolleyes:

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Definitely go for the BT mighty mouse...it's sweet.

7. ic1 macrumors member

I've had an iCurve since I got my Powerbook a couple of years ago. It gets the screen up to a reasonable height and, in combination with Apple's wireless keyboard and a no-name bluetooth mouse, is ideal for me. (The PB is my only computer so it serves as a desktop and a portable). I too tuck the keyboard under the stand when finished so the whole package looks integrated.

Visually it has to be cooler than a couple of phone books and seems to keep the PB cooler physically as well. I've been in places with pretty high ambient temperatures recently and the fans do not come on if the machine is on the stand but if it's flat on the desk they do.

Don't recall exactly what it cost me in the Applel Store in Soho but I'm sure it was more than the $25-35 you quote but it has been worth every penny.

8. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

No, they are truly excellent things. Very highly recommended.

9. fatties macrumors regular

i like my icurve... whenever i am not using the mb on it it gets really hot (i am not dreaming i put my hand underneath the normally hot parts to check quite a few times).

also its better than the few books because if you ever need the desk space you can always shove the keyboard, mouse and all that underneath the icurve.
    and what if you ever want to read the said books used as a laptop stand?

10. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

thats when you use the phone book widget :D

11. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I got one for about $20 on eBay last fall and I love it! Great investment. It's a strong little bugger. Very sturdy. It's helpful if you use your laptop at a desk a lot or are looking for a dual display setup. :)

I plan to put my MacBook on the iCurve, use my external keyboard and mouse, and buy a 20" ACD and have a sweet desktop setup as well as the ability to take the machine anywhere I want. :)

12. z00y0rk macrumors member

z00y0rk

I love my iCurve. It's great. The eye level at my desk is perfect. It is worth the $39.95 don't hesitate, just buy.