I'd buy a Macintosh!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Looking at the original Macs (and the Classic), I think they're still conceptually a great machine - despite their small screen.

The thing I like about them is their portability. And they still look good and if all you want to do is simple spreadsheets and word-processing, they're quite adequate.

I just don't think I could say the same about about a PC from those eras.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

the portability was a big thing back then for my family. Not everyone had computers, and we use to borrow one, carry it back and forth. It was great. Finally my dad broke down and got a mac classic. Thing still works too, some video problems aside.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I keep looking at Mac SE's on eBay. I'm so tempted to pick one up. I think I eventually will. First, I have to finish rebuilding my current project -- a Power Mac 7100.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, the portability's a great advantage. I've got a Colour Classic in the garage somewhere, unfortunately it needs a new hard drive.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have seen people put PC motherboards and chips inside Mac Classics.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

lol - the way you said that made me think of someone restoring a car... ;)

we had a plus, and that thing rocked. but i must say, the first mac that really stole my heart was the 6100/66 (Remember when that was fast?) - For some reason, that machine hit a note in my heart...

matt

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I think I like that idea about as much as I like the idea of people putting Chevy engines into old Fords--and I don't like that idea at all.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Simplicity ruled - an understated elegance that changed the idea of what a computer could be and do. Great stuff - and the concept is still valid today.

The only thing is not many people would be happy with such a small screen today :D

D