I'd buy one: external hd to fit under iMac.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by medea, Aug 12, 2003.

1. macrumors 68030

medea

why hasn't anyone come out with an external HD shaped to fit under the FP iMac (like the U.F.O. hub?) There are plenty of good looking HD's out there but it would be great to have one that really fit the design of the iMac, and having it rest underneath would really save on desk space.

2. macrumors 68040

tazo

dude, you have an idea. Make up some drawings and patent it.

3. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd be worried about possible heat issues with having the iMac on top of it, though.

4. macrumors 68040

tazo

I think medea should run with this idea. its a good idea in theory and before someone on these forums or in the retail world gets a hold of it he should patent it or something....

if only I had for that squeezable peanut butter.....damnit skippy...i had that idea first 3 years ago....

5. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That always sucks...I come up with lots of ideas but always let them pass thinking they are stupid or pointless and a year later see something similar on store shelves...ah well.

6. macrumors 68040

tazo

exactly. which is why we should encourage one of our "own" to try and get this thing in his name:)

7. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

well, atleast we have proof of intellectual property on here. This forum post is dated, so obviously it is very hard to forge.

Write up some schematics, Medea, not matter how crude. If you have an imac, measure the bottom. Post the specs (diameter would be the best) and see if someone will help you with drawing up the plans. You could make some serious cash with this idea.

8. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd say get the specs and dimensions written down, then possibly taking a HD and sticking it in some kind of crude case (How about legos!) just for a prototype sort of model and see where you can go from there. But sure, we need more creative minds out there to help spark evolution into our current industries.

9. macrumors 68040

tazo

Medea should note that since i pushed him to patent it I get the standard 10% ;)

10. macrumors 604

iJon

Sounsd like a big case just for a hard drive. why dont you think or some more stuff to fit into it. Like a all in one media reader, front usb, audio, firewire ports. doesnt just have to be a hard drive. I think it would kind of neat to have a round base with more ports, possibly front ports, and a another cd-burner in the front for disc copies, and if there is room put a hard drive in there.

iJon

11. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I could attempt and bribe a mod to change medeas post and thus being able to steal the patent muhahaha think about it

12. macrumors 68040

tazo

then as a demigod u could just delete the quoted post ;) :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Here's what you need to do:

-Draw up some plans, even if they are simple. Include dimensions. If you need to take it to a design shop, do that.
    -Notarize all of your documentation. A printed copy of this thread might be good too. Most banks offer notary services for members at low rates.
    -Try to get a working prototype made.
    -If you get a working prototype made, get it patented.

BTW, I like iJon's idea. You could design an entire line of crap that expands the iMac like that. If you go with that, be sure to find a way to put some ventilation between units because some people will inevitably stack several up.

14. macrumors regular

Along with what iJon said.. that would be a "waste" of space.. I'm pretty sure the base of the iMac is big enough to cover two HDs laying down right next to each other.. what about a HD enclosure that allowed for two or one.. i guess it doesnt matter.. HDs of your choice.. that would be nice. I'd buy one.. though I don't have an iMac.

15. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

But iJon, the front firewire and usb ports idea is already made into a product: Xtreme's U.F.O. for iMac. That's what medea was referring to, except he said instead of ports it should be a hard drive. Although combining the two would be a great idea, patenting it would be harder because a product just like that already exists.

irmongoose

16. macrumors 68040

tazo

but he could just chage the placement of the ports, add the hard drive, and give it a different name
    :p

17. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

But if you design a product that varies on or is an improvment upon an existing product, you can patent the improvements. If the new design is drastic enough, you can patent the whole shebang.

Regards,
    Gus

18. macrumors 604

MacBandit

How about getting a compact external drive and then the UFO hub and cutting a slot in the hub so you can slide the external drive into the back of it where it will be hidden. This would be the best of both worlds. A hidden external drive and also a portable drive to take with you if you needed.

19. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

find yourself some way to make it contain the USB hub, the FW hub, the HD, second optical drive, and provide connections for a second monitor, and you're in business. And of course, make it look cool. 'Cause that's half the battle.

20. macrumors 604

iJon

imac already has that.

iJon

21. macrumors 65816

22. macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: I'd buy one: external hd to fit under iMac.

someone has already done this. i saw it in Mac Addict or MacWorld not that long ago. it was a FireWire Drive that fit under the dome just like that hub you mentioned, saw that too. i'm gonna try to find the mag and a link.

*edit* oops, gopher beat me to it.

23. macrumors G3

Now the question is, can you stack this and the Xtreme UFO for iMac at the same time?

24. macrumors 65816

I see no reason why not. The UFO as far as I know is the only one really dependent on cable length. You could check with MCE products if their drive is as dependent.

25. macrumors 6502

Good idea. I also like the idea of making it more than just a hard drive expansion. A Firewire-400 base with some fans, possible USB ports up front - and why not the ability to add one or two HDD to your iMac? Could even build it so the edges taper, adding to the iMac's dome shape. And have the top have some depth so the iMac can actually seat into it - and make it look for flush.