I'd like to learn a bit more...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mycophiles, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Mycophiles macrumors newbie

I'm fairly new to macs but am grasping a bit at a time as I go. I'm instrested to know more about the console and the inner parts of the mac. Does anyone know where I can find some information like this? As of now I don't even know how to open the console. :rolleyes:

Thanks, and 1st post. :D

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The terminal is in the Applications/Utilities folder. It's just regular Unix commands and you can pretty much use any. Search google for "unix commands"

3. Mycophiles thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been reading up on the terminal and I don't see a real function for it for a new user. It seems to be a way to manage your files and copy/paste files in a slower way than using the gui screen. Anyone care to explain the real functions of the turminal in real life scenarios?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Basically, if you don't know why you would use Terminal, you don't need to use Terminal. :)

Terminal is used to get at things you wouldn't normally need - making files hidden (or unhidden), seeing files the GUI doesn't show, running scripts to do things like update a DNS server with your current IP address, etc. There's pretty much an infinite number of things you can do with it, as with any Unix terminal. If you can read about Unix - as mentioned by 7on - you'll see what you can do. There are also specific books, like "Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther", an O'Reilly book by Dave Tayor & Brian Jepson.

Note that Console is used mainly to see logs of what's been going on, and Terminal is what you want if you're going to play around.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you mean the Console application, which shows the log files Mac OS X keeps, or the Terminal application, which gives you access to the UNIX command line? Both can be started by double-clicking their icon in the Utilities folder, just like you would open any other application.