I'd like to point out...

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Nov 20, 2006.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

That the Wii uses 802.11b wifi. And if memory serves me right, that means that anyone with a g connection will be throttled back to b in a b/g environment.

My connection used to be g only and was unable to connect until I allowed mixed b/g connections.
    What I wonder now, is that this whole 'Wii24' thing is going to be a problem.

:(

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Really? That's quite interesting, I was unaware of that.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wikipedia lists the hardware as a Mitsumi DMW-W004 WiFi 802.11b/g wireless module.

Odd.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It does serve you correctly, unless there's been some technology change that I wasn't informed of?

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Weird if it is b. The updates were incredibly fast for my Wii. However I have no idea how large or small the updates were

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Far as I remember, the DS ain't even that

8. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3605311

9. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

the DS isn't always connected to your network either

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I always thought the DS was b too?

So what does this mean? Bad news if internet speeds reach beyond the limit of b? With no media streaming I can't see this being a bad thing. My laptop has a b card, yet has the same speed internet as my iMac (b/g/n). hmm.

Sounds to me like a fuss over nothing.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The badness comes if you have a wireless network around the house.

Sure our internet connections are still weedy compared to the US with 2mb being an average amount so a b' network for internet is more than sufficient.

But for multiple computers sharing media, files etc the g (or a) network speeds are a real boost, but they will be hampered by the fact that the wii will make them drop down to b....

I'm surprised in 2006/7 that they are only supporting b ? The price difference must be negligable.

On the brighter side, a b network has a larger distance support...

12. white89gt macrumors regular

Everything that I can find online says that the Wii is 802.11 b/g. I'm not home otherwise I'd check and see what the operations manuals say. However, I'm almost 100% certain that I disabled 802.11b traffic on my home network for the exact reason the original poster brought up (my notebook is kind of old and is only 802.11b capable), and my Wii connects fine and I haven't seen any slowdown on any of my other wireless computers.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But can't routers do b/g at the same time? Mine certainly can and it didn't cost the earth.

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm sure it is actually g compliant. If its advertised as such then it must be, right? Also internet speeds are already at the limit of b. 802.11b in ideal conditions can reach up to 11Mbps. That's ideal though, i.e. perfectly strong signal, maximum connection, no other devices on the network etc etc. Real world sustained speed for 802.11b is probably about 8Mbps for one device on the wireless network. The broadband we have here is 10Mbps (thank you NTL) and speed tests vary between 5Mbps to 10Mbps depending on the time of day/usage. 802.11b would limit our internet speed for sure!

15. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

They can do both, however, if a 802.11b device is on the wireless network the speed of the network is dropped down to b speeds so all g devices will connect at b speeds.