ID3 Tag Editor for .AIFF files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmwpowere36m3, Jan 11, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I had a quick question about getting some kind of ID3 tag editor for use on my mac. A bunch of my music collection I have ripped losses to .AIFF on my MBP. When I put the songs into iTunes, I can edit the tags no problem. However when I read the tag via some third party software, there is no tag info.

MP3's on the other hand work fine, iTunes can tag them and other software can read it. I tries using Musorg, which can read and edit the tags. However it won't let me edit the .AIFF files, I tried MP3 and .Ogg and those worked fine.

What can I do? The reason I ask is that I put the songs onto my modded iPod Mini, which has a 16GB CF card and runs Rockbox. With Rockbox it doesn't recognize the tags, since there aren't any... I assume.

2. macrumors 6502a

That's because there are no ID3 tags for AIFF files. There is no designated space for them in the header of the file.

I would recommend converting them to MP3 using iTunes to play on your MP3-players, then deleting the lossy copies after transfer (unless you need them further).

3. macrumors 65816

Galley

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually want to keep the lossless format... audiophile, what can I say. Plus I have storage space to use :D. So there is nothing you can associate .AIFF files with, some form of a tag. I remember reading of "wiki", yes wiki that .aiff support tagging.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Why don't you use Apple Lossless? It supports tagging and artwork, and you could save a lot of space compared to AIFF, which can take up almost twice as much room.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to use a more universal format than apple's, even though I use an apple computer. IIRC, Rockbox software on my mini doesn't support it anyway...

8. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use FLAC then.

9. macrumors newbie

I use Soundgrinder from monkey-tools.com
    tag editor inclusive coverart.
    works then in iTunes on Mac and Windows PC
    I have all my music in this way on may NAS

10. macrumors newbie

AIFF is an extensible format, and can include ID3 tag. iTunes actually embed ID3 tag in AIFF, but there is little support in reading/editing it by other software/players. Some software that support ID3 tag in AIFF can be found here.