Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
according to IDC 12Q4 report Apple had 43.6% share... so they are predicting it will avg out at 46% for 2013.

12Q4 had Samsung at #2, with 15.1%. compared to Apple's 43.6% (rough ratio of 1 in 3)

This doesn't seem right unless Samsung tablets are more concentrated in certain parts of the world, I rarely see a Samsung tablet out in the wild (just my personal observation, of course).
And unless some drastically changes from the availability of these cheaper tablets, it implies that Samsung will ship in the range of 28 million tablets (15% of 190 million) this year.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
My son has an iPad Mini, 2 of his friends have Android tablets. Both of his friends tablets collect dust in their bedrooms and they barely use them. My son uses his iPad Mini hourly, sometimes 6-8 hours out of a day. He has said his friends wish they had an iPad instead of the Android tablets.

Granted, The Android tablets suck ass. But judging by the amount of time your son spends on his iPad, it sounds more like you are in need of parrenting advice, than his friends are in need of iPads. No offence intended.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
actually surprised they are giving Windows that little of an increase

Yeah... but look at the share by 2017!

Personally, I put no weight into these numbers. First, IDC is number crunching organization who's prediction capabilities can be bias and flawed. At least they have in the past in my industry as their predictions are rarely accurate. Secondly, they are talking about shipments. Not sales. I highly doubt the sold devices even on the Android side was that high for 2012... Apple killed it in the tablet market in 2012. That's not to say that Android is not making ground... they are on par in many ways now and it's really a game of one-uping now.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Unlike the iPhone, the iPad Mini hits a much lower price point (I'm obviously referring to unsubsidized iPhone prices). Also, Apple is known to discount 1 year old iOS devices by $100 (iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad all follow this rule). Therefore, sometime this year, we are going to see the current gen iPad Mini go down to about $229 (I'm guessing $249 but hey, it could happen). Also, unlike the iPhone, Apple also directly sells refurbished iPads, so that price point can go even lower (refurbished last gen iPad Mini for $199).

What am I trying to say here? By the end of this year, Apple is going to make it impossible for Android to compete above $200. People happily pay a slight premium for Apple products (which is the reason $399 10 inch Android tablets collect dust in store shelves). So when Apple hits that $199-$249 price point this year with the iPad Mini, the only way people will buy Android Tablets will be if they are priced at $99 or lower. Since you cannot provide quality at that price point (unless you are taking a significant loss), than Apple will continue to dominate the tablet market.

I've always predicted that eventually the iPad will be Apple's best selling product. Technically phones are cheaper to make than quality tablets, but they are sold for significantly more because of carrier subsidies allowing competition to undercut you easily since profit margins are so ridiculously high. Apple did not play the same game with the tablets, which is why Android will not have much of a chance against Apple in this market.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I think the responses are funny.

If the report said that Apple would keep/increase their lead - people wouldn't take issue with the report. At least most wouldn't.

Most people haven't taken issue with the report prior to your comment. :D

mrbusiness

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2013
Apples to fruits

Agreed with the others. Apple will have 46% and 43%. But, we're talking a number's game on iOS on iPads, vs Android on 20+ tablets? Even taking into consideration that there are 5 different types of iPads, only 3 are still being sold by Apple (At the moment.). So, only taking into account what is currently being sold, 3 devices are at 43-46% while 20+ other tablets (Running Android.) will be splitting 46-48%.

Don't know about you, but I call that a win for Apple.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I don't see why anyone finds this surprising, similar to the phone market, Android has numerous options compared to 2 maybe 3 for iPad. Predicting through 2017 is ridiculous, I think. The rate technology is changing and new features are being released and adopted, one feature can completely throw that prediction off.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Samsung giving away their tablets with their TV's / Camera's / Phone's doesn't hurt either i guess...

Nexus 7 is a really good tablet, was only a matter of time... especially when you also count in the Kindle Fire.

More Choice is always good.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Apple have been resting on their laurels (and blind loyalty of fans like I once was) for far too long, and competitors have caught up and in some places, overtaken! More importantly, Apple have lost a lot of mindshare with their fans; people like me, now a Windows Mobile user as I didn't see anything exciting enough in the iPhone 5 to make me upgrade from the 4. I also didn't like the fact Apple couldn't give me a retina iPad mini ... Knowing one WOULD be along soon to try and take more money from me. There are so many things that are destroying Apples mindshare; from big things like price and lack of Regina screens on iPad minis to simple things like lack of SD Slots. Not having these is just pure and simple greed on Apples part; and people have finally woken up to this in light of the great products competitors are now knocking out ... With great specs, great prices ..... and SD slots lol!

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
My son has an iPad Mini, 2 of his friends have Android tablets. Both of his friends tablets collect dust in their bedrooms and they barely use them. My son uses his iPad Mini hourly, sometimes 6-8 hours out of a day. He has said his friends wish they had an iPad instead of the Android tablets. Apple makes the best hardware and eco-system, they will continue to dominate until the competitors make a better eco-system to go with the cheap hardware.

If your kid is spending 6-8 hours a day on his iPad Mini then I think you need to be a lot less concerned about what tablets his friends play with and start worrying about your parenting skills. It's incredible you're even bragging about it.
Advice. Take his tablet away and give him a soccer ball.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
I don't see why anyone finds this surprising, similar to the phone market, Android has numerous options compared to 2 maybe 3 for iPad. Predicting through 2017 is ridiculous, I think. The rate technology is changing and new features are being released and adopted, one feature can completely throw that prediction off.

Well seeing as Apple haven't brought anything 'new' (or exciting) to the market in the last 2-3 years (spec bumps don't count!), it isn't hard to forecast what they won't be doing in the next 2 or 3!!! ..... Unless they pull their fingers out their asses!!!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If your kid is spending 6-8 hours a day on his iPad Mini then I think you need to be a lot less concerned about what tablets his friends play with and start worrying about your parenting skills. It's incredible you're even bragging about it.

Or an Android tablet ;)

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Of course they will, you can pick up an Android tablet for like $5. ;)

Let's see how the actual dollar amounts turn out for 2013.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
MR said:
IDC Predicts Android Tablet Shipments Will Overtake iPad Shipments in 2013
Thank god!

Android is so much better, compared with the stagnant iOS. And many android devices have the features, which the users need. Not surprising. Apples iDevices are not the future.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Unlike the iPhone, the iPad Mini hits a much lower price point (I'm obviously referring to unsubsidized iPhone prices). Also, Apple is known to discount 1 year old iOS devices by $100 (iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad all follow this rule). Therefore, sometime this year, we are going to see the current gen iPad Mini go down to about $229 (I'm guessing $249 but hey, it could happen). Also, unlike the iPhone, Apple also directly sells refurbished iPads, so that price point can go even lower (refurbished last gen iPad Mini for $199).

What am I trying to say here? By the end of this year, Apple is going to make it impossible for Android to compete above $200. People happily pay a slight premium for Apple products (which is the reason $399 10 inch Android tablets collect dust in store shelves). So when Apple hits that $199-$249 price point this year with the iPad Mini, the only way people will buy Android Tablets will be if they are priced at $99 or lower. Since you cannot provide quality at that price point (unless you are taking a significant loss), than Apple will continue to dominate the tablet market.

I've always predicted that eventually the iPad will be Apple's best selling product. Technically phones are cheaper to make than quality tablets, but they are sold for significantly more because of carrier subsidies allowing competition to undercut you easily since profit margins are so ridiculously high. Apple did not play the same game with the tablets, which is why Android will not have much of a chance against Apple in this market.

Apple would hope they would become the iPod...or...shall we stay the iPod of tablets. Apple defined the category and has first mover advantage.

But, that is until $200 tablets overtake $500 tablets.

----------

Wow, burn. Lol.:D

----------

Well seeing as Apple haven't brought anything 'new' (or exciting) to the market in the last 2-3 years (spec bumps don't count!), it isn't hard to forecast what they won't be doing in the next 2 or 3!!! ..... Unless they pull their fingers out their asses!!!!

I don't think Apple has to bring anything new when they are dominating in sales. Of course, that could bite them in the butt if they aren't careful....

SONY!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
46% of only 190 million tablets sold?!?!?:eek: Oh no Apple is doomed if this Analyst is right and Apple only sells 87.4 million tablets this year. Compared to fiscal 2012 where sales were 52.8 million. And keep in mind these are cannibalized mini tablets which have slightly lower profit levels. Yes, doomed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.