Idea for an app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by satans_banjo, Jan 16, 2006.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

One of the reasons I've wanted to learn to program for OS X is because I have ideas like this flying around all the time. But since I can't (yet) I'll tell you my idea:

An app, like VoodooPad, where you can jot down thoughts and small pictures onto pages linked in the same way as a Wiki, BUT with included sound recording. Think about it, any songwriters here would love the idea of a small, memory-light app that, at the stroke of a shortcut key, can start recording any old idea down! It would be great!

Anyway, while I dig deep into "Learning Cocoa With Objective-C" what do you lot think of it? Any chance of an open-source project?

2. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I could definitely use something like that. Great idea.

I wish someone would write an ap where it gives you the option of going back to whatever it was you were just doing. Like a back button on your browser does, but this would be a back button for your session. Just click back, and it will give you the ap, or mail, or photo, or whatever you were just doing.

3. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder if I could have a go at taking several different open-source cocoa apps (a text editor, a painter and a recorder) and make an all-inclusive interface to go with it? just as a starting point?

4. ll350 macrumors member

Anybody know of a way to capture the audio directly from a mac's built-in Mic?

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Do you mean as a developer or just as a user? To just record stuff from the built-in Mic, you can use Garageband, Audacity, QuickTime Pro or any of a number of other apps. If you mean as a developer, I have no idea.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Quicktime provides APIs for you to do this:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/INMAC/SOUND/imintrosound.14.htm

I don't think you have to do anything special to make it use the internal mic. In system prefs, you define the standard audio input device. If the user plugged in a mic or uses a BT headset, and set it as the standard in, it should automatically use it.

But, if you want the capability to pick, I think you can see how from here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/INMAC/SOUND/imsoundinput.htm

7. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

cool. all i need to do is learn how to make basic use of an API and i'm there