idea for iPod feature

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ero87, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I know some of you must have had this happen to you:

When listening to my ipod, I'm often not sure what i'm in the mood to listen to. So I'll click "Shuffle Songs" on the main Music menu and see what comes up.

Then, I'll find something I'm in the mood for! At this point, I just want to shut off shuffle and have ipod continue to play the current artist/album. In essence, I want a little switch on the ipod (like on the shuffle) that toggles the shuffle feature. It's really circuitous to go all the way back to the main menu, turn off shuffle, and then find the artist again.

Anyone else think this is a good idea? Maybe it'll happen one day? :)

2. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I do the same thing as you...I wonder if we're not in the minority though.

Still, it's a feature I would use.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have long thought of a feature like this and would LOVE it if implemented...Sometimes I just want to hear another song or two from one artist and then go back to shuffling. This would be a great feature!

4. calculus Guest

calculus

I often do this too. Usually I am very happy with what my iPod comes up with - it is after all the best radio station in the world. Sometimes though I hear a track and want to hear the whole album so the feature you describe would be great.

5. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

I emailed sjobs@apple.com to pitch the idea, now we just wait for the results! :D

6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I would love this feature too. I think a lot of other people would like it as well.

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Count me in. This is something I was just thinking about the other day.

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i hadn't thought about this... good call though!

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It would be a nice feature and I've sent feedback about it before ;)

I'd also like two other features - one an option so that you can choose a letter and then scroll through songs/artists if you prefer. My scrollwheel often seems to go reasonably through A to F and then ends up at Z. Not good when I'm trying to go to L.

And I'd like the Smart Playlist back; I had some 'recently played' lists which now don't update til I resynch which is annoying while on trips away from my Mac

10. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

I've often thought this too, as I do it often enough while listening to music in iTunes. A way I think this may be implemented would probably be similar to the iTMS-linking arrow in iTunes (next to 'Name', 'Artist', and 'Album') which I have changed to just go to all songs by that artist (rather than to all songs by that artist IN THE MUSIC STORE).

It would be a nice feature, although only if Apple could make it a seamless addition to the iPod interface, as I think a switch such as on the Shuffle is quite un-Apple-like.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ever since i got my shuffle, i've wanted this feature. seriously. :eek: :D

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its a good idea....thought about it as well as i look for music i'm in the mood for.

Bless

13. howard macrumors 68020

howard

definitely, I'm always switching back and forth from shuffle to non-shuffle.

the only other gripe i have with the ipod is that you can't browse playlists by artist!

14. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

How would such a feature be integrated though? It sounds like a good idea, but it's like having a steering wheel that turns by itself once you start it... or something like that :confused: :confused:

I think once you've been spinning for more than a second or two, the iPod bumps the scroll speed up to get to where you're going faster. Try spinning slower or pausing a bit once you get close.

15. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't know...but I was thinking maybe a small button like the hold button?

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

have it in the main menu section when a song is playing, rather than 'shuffle songs' and 'now playing' add in 'current artist/album' so you can skip to that artist/album on your iPod perhaps?

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i want the ability to shuffle an artist's songs just from the artist menu, maybe as an option under "album" > "shuffle all." That would be a good feature in my opinion. That is why i don't use Shuffle because i have so many different songs that i don't feel like hearing :rolleyes:

18. azwandi macrumors newbie

its essential

i'd like the feature too. its quite annoying whne i have to go back to the main menu to change the settings

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ain't that what the "skip while shuffling" checkbox is for?

B

20. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

I find that those checkboxes don't work! I un-checked all my itrip stations (weirdest method for choosing a station), but they still play sometimes on shuffle.

Maybe the checkbox-system doesn't transfer to the iPod?

21. mannix87 macrumors 6502

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't know about many other iPod users but in itunes you can have folders...why can their be folders in the playlists on the ipod... it will lists all the folders, click the folder you want, then select the playlist...Like on my ipod when i have a a whole CD i sometimes make it a playlist for easy finding. It would go playlists - CDs-Then the album...