idea for new forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by twoodcc, Dec 6, 2006.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

maybe a good idea for a new forum here would be one for more advanced users - like with Mac OS X Server, and advanced Networking

what do you think?

2. gers84 macrumors member

What about a forum for external mods on macs
    something similar to mac-mods?

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I wouldn't like to see that, before we know it we'd be posting images like this:

[​IMG]

However, I would like to see a more advanced take on things, that would be nice. Also, a Networking and Internet froum would be good. Maybe those could be one in the same...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I think something oriented at information systems types of professional usage would be interesting. I'm always interested in learning more about that, so I would be happy to read (but probably rarely be able to contribute to) such a forum.

As far as that case is concerned, I feel like the next thing that will happen is Lucifer from the old Battlestar Galactica will show up. :eek: :( :eek:

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks guys. i just thought a more advanced forum would be nice, b/c right now basically everything is mixed together.

it seems i could learn more if all the more advanced threads were all together

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If I remember rightly, the last time an 'advanced' forum was proposed, it was for the Web Design and Development forum. Someone got a little annoyed with the iWeb threads and other 'non-pro' topics that were sullying the elevated atmosphere... but the overall response to that idea didn't seem that favourable.

And frankly speaking... if I had an over-inflated view of myself and my own profession, I would want to see the Design & Graphics forum kept clear of the non-pro stuff, but I know if I need to find out about prepress or detailed app stuff in greater detail I can go elsewhere. What's more, it's precisely because of its open nature that others can learn from each other.

I'm sure others could say exactly the same thing about the Digital Photography forum where you have people asking about their point and shoots rubbing shoulders with seasoned pros. But that's a good thing up to a point; there's a level field without a form of board apartheid. We've had enough moaning recently about forum elites...

So, if I have a networking question, I'd like it be seen and answered by as many people as possible without it being relegated to a 'beginner's' forum. Too narrow a category and a forum dies from inactivity, too broad and it becomes a catch-all without focus.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My pet peeve these days is all the Boot Camp/Parallels questions that are asked outside the Windows on Mac forum. (Mac Basics, Mac Applications, and even the hardware forums).

Running Windows on Intel Macs is not a Basic function nor is it an Application and most of the questions have already been answered time and again in WoM.

Grrrrr.

So, no I don't want any more subforums if people can't seem to use the right ones that we've already got.

B

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Report them and get them moved...it takes two seconds. The only way things will change is if the regulars change the culture by prodding things into the correct forums.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I do, most of the time. And I also tend to provide a link to the WoM forum in my reply.

B

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

ironically enough, I'd just come to the feedback forum to post an almost identical thread. anyway, I don't know about advanced networking, but a general internet and network board would be really nice, especially with all the threads asking for Linksys WRT54G support.

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Do the the fact I'm using OS X Server more and more, I'd be very happy to see a little forum for that :)

12. Diavilo1 macrumors member

I would agree 100% that this would be nice to have. I would propose it be Xserve, Xserve RAID, and Mac OS X Server only, with the exception being items that work hand in hand with above said items. Examples would be backup solutions, backup software etc. As an Apple Enterprise reseller I can see this as being productive for myself plus sharing what I've found in my researching.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So do you feel it would be better to keep apart other enterprise / managed level things (like open-source CRM, which comes up occasionally, or any other server or middleware types of issues)? I don't have an opinion, I was just wondering what you mean...

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The only problem I can see is if the thread is an XServe one that isn't XServe specific (e.g Firewall settings, or some of the open source stuff, other people may use it under Linux or something..) and then the post might get missed by the vast majority of users (including me) who never use OS X server.

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm glad i'm not the only one who wants a forum like that. i hope the mods are watching.....:)

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If we got vBulletin's search feature fixed up a bit (not MacRumor's fault), I personally wouldn't mind seeing some of the subforums cut. It can get a bit messy out there sometimes. :eek:

17. Quboid macrumors 6502

I think a science and tech forum is in order. I have posted many math quesions here and got them complety answered by varios people. Math and science forum would make macrumors more complete.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ask Doctor Q for that one. You might get lucky.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd just add Maths and Science to the programming forum (which could be renamed the "general geekery forum" ;) ).