Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Just thinking about this randomly. What if Apple launched an actual TV with Apple design like the glass and the aluminum and they were amazing display quality 3D etc. Super thin and then to kick it all off every single Apple "TV" would have an Apple TV built into it to have control of a full media center and record TV play stream and download 1080P HD content etc. If Apple did that I could see them adding a whole new pillar to their so called 3 legged chair.

Edit: I thought of more things it could have. For instance it could have the ability to wireless sync with your iPhone or iPad to control it etc and wireless stream media from that device in HD. Also integrate a HD webcam into it to do real teleconferencing. This could all be integrated into a brand new Apple TV OS of course that would manage it. Woo alright gotta stop thinking about this. Been shopping for tvs lately is all. =P

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Not a bad idea... certainly a way to get more iTunes content into people's homes, though I agree with the previous poster, seems unlikely Apple would do that.

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
Hmm,

i have heard that before. I would only like the idea if it would support BluRay and could do any format that XBMC can playback now. I really do not want to be stuck on one specific platform/manufacturer.

You want to know why?
For example if you buy many things with FairPlay DRM you could not exchange your "Apple LCD TV Set" with a "SONY (PSN enabled) OLED" later on, without losing the ability to view your purchased content.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I just want mlb.tv available on my :apple:TV, like it is for my Mac, iPhone, and the soon-to-be iPad. And ESPN 360. And Pandora. Those additions would greatly enhance my :apple:TV experience. (I'm not holding my breath re: Pandora since Apple wants to sell us music through the iTunes music store).

EDIT: Yes, I have tried Boxee on my :apple:TV, but it didn't run well. Slow loading and choppy video. Could be my network. I want the above connectivity as part of an :apple:TV software update.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
good and bad idea. the problem is what if i wanted a certain size which apple doesnt have? or i just bought a new tv. or it doesnt support the cables i need it to.

i personally wouldnt buy it and may others due to what i just said

mdaffron

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Apple TV

You never know....They already have a decent start for a TRUE Apple "TV". It's called the iMac. They could make a 40-50" version. I wouldn't hesitate in buying one, especially if it had a full OS on it. If they are committed to selling movies and other stuff through iTunes, why wouldn't they do it? It would be just ANOTHER device that could sell digital content through. So many TV manufacturers are trying the "integrated Apple TV" thing (Samsung, Panasonic) and it's not good. And if there was anyway that Apple would "let go" a little and join forces with Netflix, it would all be over.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
In all actuality, I figure Apple will update the ATV to use the iPhone 3Gs or iPad internals and run a modified version of the iPhone OS (with an interface similar to what they have now and without SpringBoard etc). This should be cheaper, run cooler/use less energy, be smaller, and use designs that Apple owns (via PA Semi) which adds to the cheaper part. The only substantial hardware changes would be adding digital video/audio outputs and possibly a SATA interface if they want to keep including an internal HDD.

I think they are waiting to do this until the have a subscription service included.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Sony tried to do something like this by streaming ONLY to sony tv's. The outcry and legal threat stopped that. So there using the PS3 as there entertainment center. With the new mac mini sporting a HDMI port, got a feeling the apple tv and mini might merger. Suggested this awhile back and hope it does provided the usb ports are not blocked. This and an i3 processor and good graphics card or chip and this would be my next entertainment center.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Oppenheimer and Cook have both said Apple is not interested in the TV manufacturing business. It’s not going to happen. Who wants to buy an entirely new HDTV anyway just tto have the Apple TV interface (and playback and purchase iTunes Store content)?

As for Sony, Bravia Internet Video Link (PS3 XMB interface with Netflix, Amazon Unbox, DLNA streaming and YouTube built-in) is available now on all their recent HDTVs and they’ve even recently announced plans to expand the PlayStation Network’s video service to them also. And Bravia Internet Video link is coming to the PS3 soon too.

We will see something with the Apple TV soon enough, but until Apple gets something worked out with the studios — it’s not worth a lot of their effort.

By the way, does anyone else find it fascinating that 6 companies dominant practically all of the United States' movie and TV business — Sony, Warner Brothers, Universal, Disney, Fox and Paramount? I guess you could go as far as to say that applies globally as well since most of the content produced here is exported.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
appleTV software solution

I think appleTV could become a software solution rather than hardware. TV manufacturers could incorporate appleTV software into their product offerings. Kind of like they do for those youtube/flickr etc viewers. Put in a wifi connection and ethernet and allow people to connect an external hard-drive to their TV via usb and the rest of the required hardware is probably in a lot of the latest TVs anyway.

This gives itunes penetration to the living room but keeps apple out of TVs. The only thing against this is that apple have consistently said they are a hardware company, not a software company.

seafurydriver

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Today I find that my Apple TV competes head to head with my LG Blu-Ray player with Netflix streaming. Only a few years ago I marveled at downloading movies, TV shows and podcasts on the AppleTV, but now I find I visit iTunes less and less. I have found that the Netflix streaming library of movies commands much more of my time. I love the vast catalog of movies I can watch (or just try) on Netflix without having to pay each and every time. And if I want to see something new I just order it and the red envelope arrives a few days later. I can wait a few days for new releases. One flat fee from Netflix is a terrific sales tool.

I believe Apple needs to transform the AppleTV into a DVD player/media streaming box with a flat fee subscription plan. Let LG, Sony and Samsung worry about selling big monitors to the masses. TV's are almost a commodity item anyway.

And just to take this hypothetical train a little further down the tracks what Apple should do is just buy Netflix (before Google does). How does Appleflix sound? That's what I would advise Mr. Jobs if my work address ended with Cupertino, CA.

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I like the ideal of complete integration of my media products but even I, a true B&O and Apple fanboy, have become disillusioned recently.
If Apple were to produce this, then it would be a top-priced premium product. You are then competing with the likes of Loewe and B&O who have a market well covered. They also produce high end audio equipment to compliment their TV offering.

As I said, I have B&O throughout my house and I love the simplicity and integrated nature that compliments Apple well. However, the biggest issue that B&O have always faced is time to market.
TV's are becoming a 'cheap' disposable item with technology advances fast exceeding customer ability to consume! It took B&O years to accept that Blue-Ray was an accepted media, and HDR/PVR is a way to go. If you start to integrate services, then you reduce the time to market as new technologies arrive. Apple is in the same boat with Blue-ray players right now.

Whilst I love the idea, I think Apple will continue to expand the iMac range to incorporate TV into their devices, and increase screen size to 32" and beyond. By then, the iMac becomes too big for a computer, but too bulky for a TV and you are back to the Mac Mini with a monitor!
Just my opinion.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I wouldn't want anything integrated in the TV. Prefer the new mac mini with the HDMI port thats coming out. Hopefully it will have a i3 processor and a descent graphics chip/card. Would make an awesome entertainment center.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
So with the recent article on mac rumours here I thought I would just like to say, told you so. Hah but in all reality if it did come to fruition I'm glad I'm as smart as a media analyst. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.