Idea for Security using your iSight

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walkingmac, Nov 21, 2004.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Hey all, had a thought and wanted to get some feedback on it. Had an idea for a security app that uses your iSight to take pictures when motion is detected. idk if this is really possible, but think about it. If you are in a work situation where you want to know who is at your desk or at your room and you just know one of your siblings was messing around with your stuff, you will have pictures of them ready to look at when you get back to your computer of who was in there and when. Again idk if there is a capability of this being possible with existing technology, but it's a thought

Anyone else have any about this?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I think it's possible, but it would take a lot to pull off.

If somehow, some way, you could link a motion detector light (or some other motion detector device) to the iSight, this might work. The motion detector would take care of "knowing" when something moves, and the iSight could somehow receive a signal from that. Of course, having a motion detector light turn on might not be the most incognito solution, so perhaps you'd have a dead bulb in there. What would be important is for the iSight to pick up the signal from the motion detector, and to somehow interpret that, and thingies, and so forth.

I'm not an engineer, so I have not the slightest clue how feasible it would be to wire something up like this, but it seems like some serious talent might be able to pull it off.

3. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

it should be reasonably easy to have a program that captures a frame every .5 seconds and compares it to the previous frame - anything that has changed causes it to take a shot 0.1 seconds or something like that until the frames stop changing again.

4. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

well, actually, I was thinking more all software based. where the software could interpret a a change in what would be continuously showing of by a change in bit rate (ya I have no idea what that might mean, however i do 'know' that different amounts of motion/colors/etc create different bit rates).

Any thoughts on that?

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

nellrobinson: you got it. There is Windows software that will do exactly that, no idea if such a thing has been written for Mac & iSight (haven't looked, no need).

6. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

OH YEAH!!! wow i am surprised that it made sense, shouldn't be to hard to do - i am sure their are a few bits of code that can be purloined, modified and combined to do the job. any offers?

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

8. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

yep....

that is pretty much it. I ran a search for in versiontracker myself before starting this, but it seems i did not do a very good one

9. deckmoney macrumors member

Actually there are MANY programs that do this, or this and many other things. The most popular one is EvoCam (Google for it), but I remember an article on MacDevCenter.com awhile back that listed a bunch of them. Do a search for iSight over there and you'll find some good articles on using your iSight for security, interactive games, barcode reading, etc.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Another one is SecuritySpy, which is actually fairly slick. I ran the 30-day trial while we were on vacation since we were having work done on the house. Easy to set up an use.

11. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

It has already been developed, and people have already been caught by it. I'm not sure if anyone else remembers, but back when the iSite came out, there was a article about the iSite catching a theif. It was a school and it was having computer stuff go missing. So one of the secretaries set up her iSite to do video if it detected motion. Well, it turned out to me some students that some how had keys or something like that were coming in at night and stealing the computers. Caught them on the first night too, and could identify them from the great quality of the iSite.

12. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone's mentioned Jitter, an extension of Max/MSP by Cycling '74. A little overkill for what you want to do, but a sweet software package for A/V. The video portion can do motion and color tracking and could easily pull off a record-on-motion setup. But the other shareware apps are a lot easier to use, most likely.

cpjakes