Ideal G5 system for me?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reajesse, Jul 9, 2003.

1. reajesse macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2003
    hey all,
    I'm a college student looking to buy my first mac ( I posted yesterday about how to get it cheaper) I'm looking to buy the 1.8, but now i'm also considering the dual 2. I have joined ADC so my discount makes all the systems within my budget. I will be using it for photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and internet explorer, possibly simultaneously. Likely I would be running 2 or 3 of the programs at once. Would I benefit that much more from the dual 2 over the 1.8. I am putting in RAM to boost it to 1GB. Would the 1.8 be more than enough for my purposes? I know that it will become obsolete faster, but will it make THAT much of a difference? The goal is to go cheap for me, the less money i spend on the computer, the more i have for rent. thanks everyone

2. blogo macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2002
    you can remove the dvd-r and the modem, that will help a bit on the price, and do not buy memory from apple
  3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Given the list of apps you'll be using, I think you'll do just fine using the 1.8 GHz G5. If you were doing stuff more like video editing or 3D modeling, I would tell you to get the dualie 2.0 GHz, but it sounds as if you're doing more along the lines of page layout.