iDeal ripping bitrate?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ortuno2k, May 1, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2005
    Hollywood, FL
    Mostly everyone rips at 128kbps AAC and it sounds fine to them, either 'cause they don't know any better or because it's a matter of personal choice.
    I had all my music ripped at 256+kbps (extreme with CDex on my PC) but noticed that it was taking a bit long to update my iPod, transfer music, and it was draining battery life quite a lot.

I've recently started to rip my collection again, this time at 128kbps AAC. I've played each clip (128 & 256+kbps) and can't really notice a difference, can't. I've tried this with different types of music.

I feel I'm cheating myself by going with the higher kbps if I can't hear the difference, but then I feel I'm not getting the best by ripping at 128kbps.

What bitrate does everyone use?
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I was happy for a long time with 190 on my 4g and 30gb video, but with my recent switch to the nano I've had to drop my bitrate down to 128 so I can get more choons on there. I seriously can tell no difference at all, with ipod earbuds or even my sony mdr- v700's.:eek:
  3. macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i would rip differently depending on how you listen.

with earbuds, or in the car mostly, do 128AAC

if your listening mostly on a really nice stereo at home, think about upping that to 256, or even going lossless.

I personally rip at 128AAC because when I'm listening to my ipod I'm on earbuds or in the car. Then I just listen to cds if i'm listening on my home stereo. best of both worlds ;)
  4. macrumors regular

May 22, 2003
    I've started importing everything as AIFF files since I just bought a 500GB Seagate external drive. That way I don't have to worry about reripping them in the future. I have the space and I can always change them to 128KB files if I want to put them on my iPod. Right now I have a mix of bit rates - 15500 songs takes up about 215GB. Eventually, I'll rerip my entire collection as AIFF.
  5. macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2006
    NY state
    I started off ripping at 128 AAC and then ripped an album at 192 AAC and I could definitely tell a difference to the point where the 128 ripped songs just didn't sound nearly as good to me. So I now only rip at 192. Of course, it's best to use the lowest bitrate that your ears can't tell a difference at because it does help preserve battery life. 128 would probably be good for most people depending on your earphones.

The only thing I have to say is I do regret not ripping at 192 mp3 just because if I want to use a program other then iTunes to burn a cd, I now can't. So looking back I would have preferred to keep everything in the more common mp3 format as I do keep my entire itunes library on a second hard drive.

Also, you might be interested in checking out a thread I made on this same subject for more input: