Ideas for a new eMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BlizzardBomb, Jul 31, 2005.

1. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I was just thinking about how odd the eMac looks in Apple's line-up. Big and bulky is definately not Apple's thing (not counting Power Macs). So I was thinking why don't they give the eMac a 15-inch TFT screen? It would much more discreet while still having the eMac's price! There would be no need for a fancy G5 as it's supposed to be mainly an education model, maybe something close to the old G4 iMacs? A baby iMac would look cool I think! :p But maybe this would kill the Mac Mini? Surely not?

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think that the eMac is a fantastic computer, if I did not have to run engineering apps on my G4 I would have got an eMac. I dont think that schools are bothered about bulk, if anything they make them harder to nick! A school near me had about 20 of them in one room, when I asked why there where no security locks they said that if some daft bugger wants to nick it and carry it all the way out the front door they can sell it and pay for the hernia operation! Method to Apple's madness...

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why do you want a 15" screen??? 1024x768 res is barely enough for very basic tasks, such as e-mail!!!

I use 1280x960 on mine and its also barely enough for me

4. BlizzardBomb thread starter macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Who said anything about 1024x768 :confused: The 15-inch powerbook has a 1280x854 resolution doesn't it? Also CRT's produce quite a bit of heat too.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From a marketing standpoint, I can't see them ever shrinking the screen. However, I'd like it if they shrunk the eMac a little but kept the 17 inch screen. :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

The eMac is going to be EOL'd within the next year. I think I read that 70% of Apple's Education units are iBooks, with eMac making up the rest of the sales.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, but they've been saying that pretty much since it was released. Apple never really wanted to make the eMac anyway from memory. They claimed a "completely-LCD Mac line up" after the G4 iMac but then had to go back on it because there was such a high demand from the education market for something more solid and much cheaper. Of course, you probably know this already though. :)

Nevertheless, it's like the x86 rumours; I'll believe it when I see it.

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

That has been confirmed though...well, let me correct myself, the Intel switch has been confirmed. I suppose it doesn't have to be x86 architecture, but I do expect it to be...sadly. Such an archaic chip.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I screwed up my tenses. I meant it's similar to the rumours we had before the change was announced. :p

10. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Why not package a mini with similar specs to the emac along with a low end 17 lcd, keyboard and mouse? If someone already has the accessories, they buy a mini sans the stuff, but someone who may need to replace a monitor or needs all new stuff could get everything in one package. OR, you make buying a computer like ordering combo meals from your favorite fast food chain. I'll take the number six, supersized with the extra ram. You want cheese with that? No but a mouse would be great. (I digress).

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think Apple will redesign the eMac with a TFT screen when prices go down. iMacs are too top heavy to be used in schools. They need the econobox design for education purposes.