Ideas for a persuassive speech

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kevin.rivers, Jun 29, 2006.

1. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Hello Hello.

I am doing a persuassive speech in a few weeks. I have had a hefty tone with my other speeches, dealing with complex issues. So I want to lighten it up a bit.

I am thinking about doing a speech on why you should buy an Apple computer.

Some ideas would be great. I am not sure what the best way to show off the benefits of an Apple would be.

I was thinking of modeling it based on a Job keynote. "I am realy excited about this!"

Thanks guys.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just watch back some of Jobs' keynote speeches. Every time I see one I feel like running down the street naked screaming 'Apple Apple Apple' while trying to get through to the Apple store to buy the latest thing. At least its better than screaming 'Developers' over and over again.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Why not to use Windows (plus why to use a Mac) might make for a more humorous speech.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

bah. double post.

constipated connection, etc.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Find a classmate and do a takoff of the new Apple TV ads.

I'm a PC and I'm a Mac.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

dropping a few f-bombs can be very persuasive now and then

7. imacintel macrumors 68000

8. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Come on MR is that all you got! :D

I thought about bringing my iMac to class, but I don't know if they would allow me to hook it up to the projector.

The why not to use Windows, and why to use a Mac is good. There will be hints of that in there. I can't really think of any reasons not to use Windows, I mean I don't like it. But the reasons why you should use a Mac are more pronounced, and Windows just doesn't have some of those features.

I'm a PC, and I'm a Mac. That is good, however these are supposed to be individual speeches. I don't know if the teacher would allow me to have two people speaking. I mean, we could start that way, but I would have to be the majority speaker.

No viruses will definetly be an angle.

Does anyone know of a site, that has a bunch of steve jobs keynotes?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Say like, your speech is what? Ten minutes? If so, the mac vs. pc thing has possibilities. Use your mac, do your presentation whilst your pc counterpart fiddles with set up.....the whole time you're presenting. When you finish your speech, the pc person announces, "okay, ready" as you sit down.

10. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Yeah but what is he going to be doing? It would have to tie in with what I am presenting, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

I mean, I could have him set it up like it is a new PC. And I would do the same with my Mac. Maybe hook up a digital camera, show off some stuff.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The whole point...that he is unable to get it set up in time....goes to make your point in a persuasive speech.

12. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Set up for what?

13. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I would strongly suggest to DO NOT bring your computer in, too much time getting it set up and your allotted talk time would suffer, plus not everyone will be not able to see it. If you really do want to bring you computer in, just use one (not a PC and a Mac) and a projector for Keynote/Powerpoint. You could maybe compare the two presentation programs by using screen shots of crappy Powerpoint in Keynote, but don't do two separate presentations. Too much transition and you'll lose your audience. If you do use Keynote, do up a fab presentation, but when you talk to them, make sure you convey stories to them that everyone can understand and chuckle at.
    Like Jerry Seinfeld, he wasn't all that funny, but he could communicate on a level that everyone could understand (get) because so many people would remember stories from their lives that were very similar.
    I would suggest to go for that angle.
    Yeah maybe not too specific, but maybe it'll help you.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, use Keynote to design your presentation.

Secondly, show them all the common Windows applications that you can get on Macs as well (ie: MS Office, Photoshop, MSN Messenger, Firefox, etc.

Thirdly, show them that you can also run windows on your system via Boot Camp, or even in a separate window while running OSX by using Parallels.

Fourthly, brag about how your computer didn't crash during your presentation.

Actually.......nothing I said sounds convincing at all. :eek: