ideas for a PowerMac g4 400 MHz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macgeek77, Apr 6, 2007.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

May 24, 2006
    I have a 400 MHz Powermac G4 and am not really too sure what I can do with it thats worthwhile. Its RAM is @ 384 MB. Thanks for any ideas.:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    1. File server
    2. Linux test box
    3. Router
    4. Pop art
  3. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Max the RAM to 2 Gigs and you'll be surprised at what it can do. It's still very useable.
  4. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Feb 12, 2007
    I use my 400MHz G4 Powermac everyday for music, movies, internet and photos.

I've got 1.25 Gb of RAM, a Radeon 9200, a couple of hard drives in it and a 19 inch monitor and I'm running Tiger 10.4.9.

Its perfectly smooth and useable for my needs.
  5. Counter macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2005
    Exactly the same here apart from I do my development work on it also (websites: photoshop cs2, macromedia studio 8, both plenty fast enough for web res production) and it's on Panther 10.3.9.

Same RAM, graphics card and a couple of hard drives.

Oh and mines a 17" Apple Studio Display.

I have my eye on a Mac Pro, won't be pulling the trigger until after WWDC though if at all. (May go top end iMac but already have a screen that's perfect for me and I like to buy for max longevity).
  6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    You can do a lot with a G4/400. A secondary machine (if you already have a better machine) placed strategically in your house for email web and music.

Server of course.

If you want to do some geeky upgrades, you have a lot of options. Processor upgrades go up to 2ghz, video card can be taken to a Radeon 9800 (so long as you have an AGP and not a PCI model). Hard drive controller for huge hard drive upgrades (they can't take over 120gb or something like that stock).