Ideas for Apple commercials.

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by cyanide, Feb 14, 2005.

1. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

With the recent news of "Allison" being brought back into Apple, we will likely see some new, innovative ads from Apple. I started this thread to see what kind of ads would come out if MR members were the ones behind the camera. So here I am, pretending to be head of Apple marketing, wow me with your ideas.

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Any thing with an iMac G5 in it. Maybe something that show how peaceful it is and the "lack" of viruses. :)

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Any commercial that is trying to get PC users to switch should somehow involve MS Office. So many people have a hard time believing me when I tell them there is a Mac version...

(Well, the same thing is true when I tell people there are no viruses or spyware for Macs... :p )

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Yup, show two computers side by side, show their specs (make them exactly the same)... shows the Mac running faster and better, than going into Safari and Internet Explorer, and going to a "test site"... the Apple won't do anything wrong, and the Windows will get a virus and constantly reboot...

Then we'll see...

Apple Mac OSX.
    Yeah, theres no viruses.
    Wish you hadn't just purchased that 5,000 company antivirus suite, don't you...

Another thought is from the movie I,Robot.

"Apple, Shittin' on Windows"

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Apple should NOT showcase the lack of viruses, that will only provoke more people into attempting a successful virus for OS X, and will probably lead to people getting upset the day that there is a virus for OS X, better to do would be to showcase the simple design and elegance of the iMac along with MS Office, my gf was iffy about getting an iBook or Powerbook this coming summer, and once i told her that she can use Word, Excel and PowerPoint with no problems because there are versions for Mac she was just about sold, its a huge issue, but these programs are what people are used to, and its a great selling point for Macs

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Tha PC should start sparking and then light on fire. :p

Or the Apple could poop on the PC. :) ;)

7. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I would like to see commercials like Apple used to do...

Guy takes a bunch of photos and movies. Guy loads them on his Mac. Everything just works. Guy makes professional-looking DVDs and photo books and sends them to his family and friends. Family and friends wonder why they bought that crappy PC. :D

And we could have Jeff Goldblum narrate like the old days.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

[Scene opens with birds chirping in background, zooms in on the 18th tee of a par 5, dog leg to the left. Tiger Woods hits a screaming drive which quickly disappears over and down the first slope to the left.]
    Applause
    Commentator: [As Tiger walks off the tee and down the slope toward his ball] “Folks, I’ve seen lot of drives in my day, but I’ve never seen one that smooth and long. It has to be more than 350 yards off the tee.”
    [Fading in to general area where ball is, camera picks up crowds screaming and running in a panic by the 10’s and 20’s AWAY from the ball location. There’s confusion on the course until the camera shot zooms in on the dashboard of a Course Official’s golf cart. There, peacefully lying on the dashboard with the golf ball securely in its mouth is a huge Tiger. Woods confers with the judges and is granted a free drop without penalty.]
    [No fear, Woods reaches out and pets the tiger’s head, playfully roughs up his ears, then reaches in and retrieves the golf ball from the tiger’s mouth. The crowds begin to return in awe. The tiger licks his hand as it withdraws the ball and shows Tiger with a free drop, hitting his second shot which rolls up within 3 feet of the cup for an Eagle set up.]
    [Background of crowd going wild with applause, Tiger walking briskly toward the green, fades to lettering and commentators voice over: “With OS X Tiger, challenges from dashboards have never been easier.” [Fade to black with Apple Logo.]
    X

9. mac-er macrumors 65816

They need to focus on the price. They need to show a $499 Mac Mini and compare it to those crappy $499 Dell's they are always hawking (showing those Dells have nothing in them worthwhile).

They need to have one of those crappy Dell's in in every single Apple store showing how low quality they are (integrated video, no FireWire, etc, etc), and all those ugly wires next to a Mac.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How about using the car industry as inspiration...

Spanning shot of some mountain roads...
    Shoots to a quick shot of two young parents with perfect teeth smiling to each other as they play with their kids...
    And then the black screen comes up with Apple's logo and catchphrase.

Man, don't you love those completely irrelevant commercials, they keep life so interesting. :cool:

11. cyanide thread starter macrumors regular

cyanide

my favorite so far is the tiger woods, its in the right direction. i would also like to see more of the "it just works" kind of thing going on. and jeff goldblum is a must. here is an idea: a dad/husband has to miss his daughter's recital since he has to work late. mom goes, takes dv camera along with, comes home, hooks up to mac, does one button magic iMovie process. burns to dvd. dad gets home and there is a working dvd with transitions titles and superb quality waiting for the whole family to watch. and then bam! all of this possible on a Mac Mini starting at only 499.

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I can see it now... "oh wow! those black dells look better than apples... oh best buy...!"

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think they need to re-do/edit the super bowl ad from the 80's and end it with "on such a date, you'll see why you'll never use a pc again"
    O and insert an ipod on the runner!

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

As long as he doesn't accidentally quote himself from "The Lost World: Jurassic Park":

"Sure. It's all oohing and aahing now. But then later there's running and screaming"

15. Kassandra macrumors newbie

I did a Mac mini commercial a few weeks ago, gonna make a thread for it. I'd post it here (it was here a sec ago) but i wanna see how many views i get:)

16. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Other than "it's a tiger, get it?!" what does any of that have to do with Apple, Macs, or OSX?

Sorry, I just don't get it. Seems very un-Apple like, and unrelated.

This doesn't pertain to you per se, but I always cringe reading threads like these. I can honestly say that I've never seen an idea for an Apple commercial on these boards that I thought would actually be a good commercial.

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

They have to focus on two main things: That a Mac can do everything a PC can (Office, WoW, etc) and that there is no hassle (*nix plattform for safety, OS X for ease).

The eyecandy must just come naturally... ;)

18. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Apple does not need to do much more then it is already -

adverts are great but in apples case not always a must

Mac Minis are selling well
    iPod Shuffle's are selling out

word of mouth seems to be better then ANY advert on TV ,but things may change with Tiger and maybe the new PowerMac iExpect a big ad campaign for that little box of tricks.

ps ... adverts that go wrong ! that DFS advert that played (still playing) all over x-mas and into jan/feb with that horrid song!! UK members should know what i mean.

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, I cringe at most commerical attempts. The imagery with double and triple meaning often have little substantive information. I took this as more or less a brain storming thread - ideas, no more. The idea to put "Tiger" out there to be bandied about. Actually, an initial commercial toying with the Tiger idea could have a sequel with the same scenario, only this time a stampede of Longhorns would wreak havoc over the whole golf course with something of a punch line like, "I'm sticking with Tiger".
    X

20. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Keeping it simple

One Project - create a family vacation DVD from your video camera.
    One user has a Mac the other a PC - split screen so you can show the work elapsed time, etc.
    Mac user finishes quick and their side of the screen you see them getting on with other activities - PC user still working....fade to Apple logo.