Ideas for Demonstration Speech

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm in this public speaking class, and the next speech is a demonstration speech. The prof requires us to bring in something and shoe the class how it works/how to do it. I need some help with ideas... I'm thinking since I use OS X day in and day out, and know it so well, I figure I'd demonstrate OS X. But I only have 5-7 minutes, so I'd probably pick one program, probably iLife, and demonstrate that program. What do you think? I'm thinking iPhoto, just borrow a camera, take some shots, and demonstrate how rockin' it is... But one thing wrong with that idea is, I don't have iLife. I'm getting iLife 05 with my mini, but I won't have it until March. So the only way I can get iPhoto right now is to buy it (stupid) or pirate it. I'm not asking you guys where to get it, but should I do it? Any other ideas?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Don't pirate it. Just demo OS X. You could easily speak on it for 5-7 minutes and wow your audience (Windows users) with the dock, expose, fast user switching etc.

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I agree with Raven, just show some features of OS X. Windows users will be amazed by expose, fast user switching, the dock.

That would be fun to make a presentation on OS X. I'll do it for you :D

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could use keynote, or Powerpoint if you have to, and do a demonstration of OS X, Keynote would work better because you could integrate quicktime clips, but or you could simply go through and use a laptop to show it off, just dont get into the technicalities, keep it simple and you will be able to fill 5 to 7 mins no problems

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Gotta agree with everybody else...show 'em the OS. If you can get an internet connection, load a web site in IE, then load it in Safari and let them see how much faster it is. Show them Mail, iChat and iCal, and show them how you can open up a PDF faster in Preview. Save some pages from Apple's website about Tiger, and show them how it's going to be everything Longhorn was supposed to be. That's more than 7 minutes right there.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Thanks guys, I'm going with the brief demo of OS X with expose, the dock and fast user switching. Those three should take up 5 minutes. If not I'll add something, like the Safari/Mail/iChat combo.

Now, any of you guys know of any magazines that put their articles up online? The teacher requires one internet source and one "library" source, the internet one's a piece of cake, but the library one's not as easy... Unless I can find some random OS X article in some Mac magazine (MacAddict, MacWorld, etc). Or be sneaky and go on Amazon, find that Missing Manual book, put it in as a source, even though I never read it :D

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I love your avatar Thomas Veil! It's getting me excited for tomorrow night.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thanks. And a big thank you to edesignuk for helping me cram a complex animation into <19k so it would fit our avatar limits.

As far as online articles, I couldn't find any readily available at MacWorld or MacAddict's websites, but I know my library keeps about a year's worth of back issues of MacWorld. Maybe you could check yours.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If you're demoing exposé don't forget you can hold down shift to make it happen it slow motion - people love that! Works very well with the minimise effect too ;) :)

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm going to play the other angle. Yeah, sure OS X does look cool but you're not really showing how it works and I'm not sure whether your professor might thing 'well, he couldn't be bothered. No preparation - just talking about his computer'. And does it then just look like OS X is eye candy and doesn't really do anything useful?

I'd say do the iPhoto thing - you can still use Expose to wow them at the start end.

Get some 'clean' pics of your classmates or a recent school trip and create a short - 30-45 second slideshow complete with cube effect and music.

Start off showing them that and when they're 'wow' - show them how easy it is to do in iPhoto. If you have time at the end, show them how it Exports to a .mov file so that anyone can use it.

And then point out that this is last year's program and that the new version is even better. Much more likely to make someone pant over having a Mac... and makes you look like you did lots of prep work!

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can't go wrong with checking out one of Steve's past keynotes for demonstration tips and hints ;) :)

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Went to macworld.com, searched for "panther," found this. You now have a magazine source. Good luck on your talk.

13. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Thing is, I don't have iLife at all. Not the last year's, not this. So I'll need to pirate it if I want to use iPhoto in my presentation. And I would really rather not to pirate for a stupid class.

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

How have you got a Mac running OSX and not have any form of iLife? :confused:

15. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have Panther installed. Yes it came with the pre-iLife '04 version of iPhoto, but I opted not to install it because I never use it. And now my Panther discs are at home.

That's how I came to have OS X without iLife.