Ideas on maybe switching to PT

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by manosaurus, Apr 3, 2007.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I have researched this a little but I am still not finding the answers I need. Right now all I use to get sound into the computer is the Presonus FirePod. That's all. I do the rest with GB3.

If I want to switch to PT then I can't use the FirePod anymore which is fine I guess but I am having trouble finding interfaces that work with PT that have a decent amount of XLR inputs - at least 4 or so anyway; enough to record a rock drum kit.

If I can, I want to stay away from mixing boards or any other peripherals other than the thingy you plug the mics into. Is this possible? Pro Tools software + an interface with 4 or more mic intputs? Is it going to be way more complicated than this?

TIA (... zim)

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the hardware is limited, yes, and the list available depends on which version of PT you get.

i'm running PTLE, and with my digi002r, i can theoretically run 18 ins, which breaks down as:
    1. 4 via built-in pre's (which i don't think are very good)
    2. 4 via on board line ins
    3. 8 via ADAT (i connect a rosetta800 via ADAT)
    4. 2 via s/pdif

if you look at PT-M, you'll see that you have available a number of M-Audio interfaces. of the most interest to me is the Lightbridge, which allows you to connect a lot of your own conversion via ADAT.

at the moment, you can run 32 ins/outs via ADAT (44 or 48 kHz sampling rate). but many believe digi made a mistake in allowing that much, since they advertise 18 simultaneous, and that digi may take that away in future software releases.

regardless, there are a number of compatible m-audio interfaces, and you can probably find something to fit your needs.

btw, PTLE and PT-M software are nearly identical. if you want to score films, though, you'll probably want PTLE. but for recording and mixing bands, and doing s/w instruments, both will handle it.

another difference i know about is that PT-M's smallest buffer size is, iirc, 128. PTLE will do a buffer size of 64 (helpful for tracking w/ low latency).

anyway, imho, with a switch to PTLE or PT-M you're looking at:
    1. a great piece of software
    2. rather mediocre and overpriced hardware
    3. proprietary plug-in format (RTAS)
    4. running not-the-latest version of osx
    5. a very stable platform

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, i tried cramming all that into a haiku, but a detail or two got lost.

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Yeah, you'll have to consider the 003 route. Unless you can plug some of the mics into an instrument IN jack...

5. BCains macrumors regular

Something like the API A2D is 2 mic pres + ADDA for a s/dif connection.

I run 8 channels of outboard pres via ADAT (like the above) through my Lynx ADDA.

Some other options are to buy a combo ADDA / preamp like;
    Mackie Onyx 800R (8CHs)
    Focusrite ISA 428 (4CHs) x2 you can link them together
    Focusrite Platinum OctoPre (8CHs)
    Audient ASP008 (8CHs)