Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
I've had three iHome iSP5 plugs for about a year now. They've never been reliable and typically disconnect every few or so days (first with an ATV3 and now with an ATV4). I've kept up with the firmware updates and my wifi has always been solid. So, pretty much fed up with the iSP 5 plugs.

I've been considering dumping them for iDevice plugs. Wondering if anyone here has experience with the iDevice plugs? How reliable is the connection?

Thanks.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I haven't tried the idevices, still waiting on their light switch but I do have an iHome and it's been very reliable for me. Something weird going on there

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I have 4 iDevice plugs which are more reliable. I have owned them all for 6 months now. All of them have become unreachable at least once, sometimes even refusing to switch on when pressing the physical button on the side, so on average I have to unplug each one from the wall and plug it back in every two or three months. Not a big deal.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I've had a pair of iHome Smartplugs since their first launch and have not had any problems. One bit of advice I would give regardless of what brand of product you go with: have your wireless router assign them static IP addresses. That will resolve most issues people ever have with wireless devices becoming unreachable. Do the same for an AppleTV (4th gen) if you are using one as the Homekit hub for controlling devices while away from home.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Bringing this back from the dead. I updated all three of my plugs to 0.8.84 last night. Five minutes later they are all showing "no response" in both the Home and iHome Apps. I deleted them from homekit and reinstalled them, unplugged, plugged back in, etc...every time all three disconnect within 5 to 15 minutes.

Anyone else? I emailed their support and waiting to hear back.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I've had a pair of iHome Smartplugs since their first launch and have not had any problems. One bit of advice I would give regardless of what brand of product you go with: have your wireless router assign them static IP addresses. That will resolve most issues people ever have with wireless devices becoming unreachable. Do the same for an AppleTV (4th gen) if you are using one as the Homekit hub for controlling devices while away from home.

This is probably (definitely) a dumb question, but does anyone know - how does one go about assigning these things static IP addresses in Airport Utility? I have an Airport Express (most recent gen, most up to date software) and for the life of me I can't figure it out. All my iDevices switches are listed as wireless clients connected to my router. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

slippy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2005
I have 5 isp5s on 0.8.84 and no issues to report. I have an isp8 on 0.2.5 which has been pretty reliable. The isp8 I had to unplug last weekend, which was the first major issue I've had with it since I bought it in early December. It turned off by itself and wouldn't come back on. Also the isp8 occasionally (maybe twice a week or so) will show no response in control center. Opening the home app always fixes that issue. The isp5s I don't recall touching in months other than doing firmware upgrades. All of those run on automations turning various things on and off throughout the day.

I also have a couple iDevices, the outdoor switch. I've only used both of those to control Christmas lights, so I don't have as much use to report. They turned on and off fairly reliably through December. I used the Sunset automation which failed to turn on several times. Probably a HomeKit issue more so than the switch as I switched them to a set time and they worked flawlessly. I didn't need to unplug those at all through the month.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
I don't know what happened. All three of my plugs are dead right after 0.8.84. I hard reset them earlier and re paired to HomeKit. Nothing. All three ihome plugs are not responding. My lock and outdoor iDevices switch are fine though.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.PNG
    IMG_3092.PNG
    643 KB · Views: 228

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Okay, so I just went through and assigned static IP addresses to all of my HomeKit devices (as well as my two Apple TVs). Hopefully this will help...time will tell.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I have had problems with power switches on smartthings. They have been the most problematic of all my automated devices. So far wemo has been the most reliable.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have an iHome Smart Plug (iSP6X) and its been very reliable for me.

However IMO this type of device due to its ease of installation and price isn't worth investing too much time and effort into. Try a newer version or switching to a different brand.
[doublepost=1511313247][/doublepost]
I don't know what happened. All three of my plugs are dead right after 0.8.84. I hard reset them earlier and re paired to HomeKit. Nothing. All three ihome plugs are not responding. My lock and outdoor iDevices switch are fine though.

Apple makes it hard to narrow done issues because for me it will report that the "accessory is not responding" however depending on the accessory I know its actually HomeKit not operating properly. Ecobee for example will show no response but the native app will work fine. Sometimes rebooting my iPhone (although that makes NO sense) will fix a problem with a single accessory even though the rest are working perfectly.

I think the native app with the iHome devices leverages HomeKit so that makes it even more difficult to figure out.

Can you see the smart plugs on your local network under wireless clients?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.