Idi Amin, Ugandan dictator, is dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

well, at least that closes the door on another not-so-memorable chapter in modern history.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Re: Idi Amin, Ugandan dictator, is dead

Thats an understatement. He had so many africans killed tht e did not even know the number, but it is estimated at over 300,000. What did he get for his crimes? He was exiled to Saudi Arabia where he lived out the rest of his life in luxury. Was he even tried for his crimes in an international court (does anyone know for sure)?

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I remember all the stories about him as "Baby Doc." Had forgotton that he was still alive and in Saudi Arabia.

He is still a human being, so my thoughts are with his family. For all his evil, his family should not be punished!

5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Thats okay... Idi Amin has a student... his name is Robert Mugabe.

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

From a soldier in the British Colonial army to a dictator... weird...

I wasn't around during the turmoil he caused, thankfully, but there are others like him out there today...

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

If I recall, Baby Doc was the son of Papa Doc Duvalier, the ruler of Haiti for a period. Idi Amin was the ruler of Uganda.

It's my impression that the Duvalier regime was corrupt, insensitive to the misery of the people and repressive but was not arbitrarily insane and murderous in the way the the Amin regime was.

Below are images of Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier (first) and then Idi Amin.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that the Saudis would not let him be tried for anything.His deal was live in Saudi Arabia and stay out of politics here and you will be ok.When the Palestinians hijacked that airliner and took it to Entebbe,which the Israelis launched commandos at sucessfully,the word was he was a Palestinian sympathizer who was in on the deal,and dont quote me on this but I believe he became a Muslim on landing in Saudi Arabia after Uganda was attacked by Tanzania I think it was.