Idiocracy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shecky, Mar 6, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

this is a great movie from the guy who did "Beavis + Butthead" and "Office Space" - i thought it was really funny and witty, and as a designer i found all of the reworked logos and language to be a treat.

Idiocracy

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I just saw this based on your recommendation. I almost busted a gut laughing in a couple parts. Beyond all the hilarity, it actually has a couple interesting themes.

But srsly, when the bit about the movie "ASS" came on, I though I was going to have a heart attack.

Also, I love how Costco covers like 200 square miles.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it out on video, or in theaters? I haven't heard about it, but it's listed as 2006. Trailer looked at least modestly funny. :)

4. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

its on DVD now.

i think that my favorite sight gag was the way the police cars say "Police" in that gangsta vectorized blackletter typography. but the wittyest was the way the Fox News logo was identical to how it is today :)

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Saw it twice, a few weeks ago. Best movie ever!

Well not ever, but I really liked it (hence watching it twice).

"Go away! 'Batin'!" :eek:

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, I just rented this as a result of the Speak Up article. Most of the humor, was, of course, in the branding/logos (BRAWNDO: The Thirst Mutilator).

[​IMG]
    "Welcome to Costso, I love you."

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

this one's next on the netflix queue, and i can't wait to see it. i keep hearing all kinds of good things! :)

i have a feeling i have to stop reading this thread or you'll all ruin it for me!!!! :p

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I thought the movie started off very strongly but petered off a bit along the way - damn funny though. One of the funnier films I've seen in awhile. It's also one of those movies that people around my (ad/promotions agency) office keep quoting all the time.

Welcome to Costco... I love you.

Brawndo's got what plants crave, it's got electrolytes.

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

11. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Funny movie - could also be considered a little disturbing if you think about it. Unfortunatley, sometimes you can look around and see some of the "survivors" walking down the street and on TV- in real life, 2007.

Especially at Costco :D I frankly think people will be getting married at Costco any day now... just need a few more parking spots. Still like Costco, though....

12. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I have such a dirty mind... I knew right away in the direction Fuddruckers was heading. :p

We saw Idiocracy in the theatre. It'll become a classic like Office Space and Jay and Silent Bob.

13. mashinhead macrumors 68020

You know the funniest part about this movie is that it opened in limited release, because when it screened for test audiences, then didn't get it. So that in and of itself proves his point.

We might be well on our way to this future.

Federline - 4
    Maher - 0

14. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

It was definitely funny, but I'm more for the sarcastic/satirical movies. Like "Thank You for Smoking".

There should be more movies like Idiocracy and TYfS, most definitely. People might learn something while they laugh :)

15. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I think what makes this movie funny is that it is as exaggerated version of the world around us. I really do think we are headed in that direction, but at least we can laugh about it (even if it is stupid laughter). :D ;) :p

:)

:eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:(

16. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

My boss actually just recommended this movie to me. Surprised I had never heard of it. Added it to the Netflix queue...

17. bartelby macrumors Core

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I had a feeling

If you watch until the end of the credits there is a surprise by none other than:

UPGRAYEDD

Looks like he hijacked a pod and is loose in the 26th century.

19. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks to shecky, I had a great time watching this movie with a friend last night. The re-designed logos were a treat, especially the Umerican eXXXpress. Great movie.

20. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I love this movie. I saw it the other week. I'm definitely going to buy it when I'm home next week. :D

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I read some of the comments on this movies in the imdb. Some people really loved it, a lot of people really hated it. From those who did not like it, the general drift seems to be, it's one of those movies that was designed to make you feel stupid if you don't get/like it. I can't comment, having not seen it -- but it's pretty unusual for a movie to inspire such strong feeling both ways. For those who have seen it, any ideas why?